Choosing between LVT or laminate

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by bonjurkes, Jan 12, 2024.

1. bonjurkes

bonjurkes New Member

I'm (hopefully) soon to be a new house owner with zero knowledge about most of the things. I've been told that the first and most important thing is figuring out the flooring as nothing much can be done without flooring is sorted out (it's newly built house)

It seems like I have 2 options, going LVT or laminate flooring way, both have ups and downs. I have a friend that bought house from same estate and went with LVT way (bought Karndean rigid core Knight tile series). LVT looks super nice, but I think the ground floor is super cold at certain spots (ground floor of the house is bare cement and upstairs has some wooden stuff on floor).

I got in touch with seller/installer of a LVT brand and I've been told that Karndean rigid core has built in underlay already so it's not recommended to use underlay with those type of models, and I was told if I want underlay, I should go with laminate way. But I don't know if all LVT brands and types have same thing.

My question is : Is it possible to use underlay with any type of LVT (click or glue down type)? If yes, which type is most suitable for that?

I will get it professionally installed, and my main concern is having warm (or at least not super cold) flooring and I have been told this can be achieved with an underlay.

I was told SPC would be a better option than LVT (perhaps because it's thicker?) but apart from Karndean, I don't know any other LVT or SPC brand. Not sure if Karndean has any SPC product either.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Karndean ridged core or quickstep laminate will both be warmer than a concrete floor. Very similar products.

3. Jhflor

Jhflor Member

You can use underlay with click LVT but can get a bounce if the floor is not level. Glue down lvt can get away with that slightly but will depend on what type of subfloor you have to glue it to. If you are after glue down LVT get in touch as you can get it for £6.99/m2 (plus vat).