Different subfloor in one room

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Jack3030, Apr 13, 2024.

1. Jack3030

Jack3030 Member

I'm having an extension and the existing space has a concrete screed finished floor. The extension area has been speecified to have the same, however to get round the lengthy screed drying times the builder has said it might be an option to lay a dpm and then joist and board over for the extension part. The whole lot is on a block and beam base.
    This would mean we could lay our engineered oak floor sooner (glue down method I think) but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have two different sub floors in one large room? There will be an island with a heavy stone worktop across two different floor types which I'm not sure is a good thing. Would the arrangement cause issues with our new flooring as I presume the timber subfloor will have more movement?

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Are you gluing down the wood or floating it?

3. Jack3030

Jack3030 Member

Glue down most likely. Could do either though I guess?

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Screed will feel more solid and stable and more consistent underfoot as you say.

5. Jack3030

Jack3030 Member

Another option would be to go with the joists and ply over the top, but then put the ply throughout the whole lot. If it is thick enough ply then hopefully you wouldn't feel the difference?

6. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Depending on the thickness of the wood and height restrictions, you could possibly batten it