Extension concrete floor meets house timber floor and I want UFH and vinyl planks!!

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Spudder, Dec 17, 2023.

1. Spudder

Spudder New Member

Hi all
    First post please go easy. I’m a DIYer with a decent knowledge of DIY.

I’m in the process of extending my house. Block and beam floor in the kitchen extension (10mx4m). I’ve not installed bi-folds yet but wish to have the floor as close as I can get to being flush.

The new kitchen L shapes into the existing dining room and half of the existing hallway. This will become one room, a kitchen diner.

My questions are:

1. I want to have something like Karndean / Amtico vinyl planks over the whole floor (concrete screed UFH and timber floor with UFH. How do I achieve this? Including keeping the floors level and having a bases that won’t split the vinyl planks where the concrete/screed floor meets the old house timber floor.

2. I’m happy to take off the old floor boards and was thinking of replacing with routed out floorboards for the UFH pipes but didn’t know how the floor fitter would tile over these? Would I need plyboard on top? If so, I can then account for the floor height in my kitchen to match.

3. Non flooring question but I think it’s relevant - Should I consider taking out all of the floor joists in the older part of the house to accommodate any change in height that may be required (or am I over-thinking this part?)

I hope the above waffle makes sense to someone ;)
    Thanks in advance.