How to level hallway floor without causing issues at transitions

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by lebrouillard, Jan 9, 2024.

1. lebrouillard

lebrouillard New Member

As part of a renovation, a section of an old bedroom has become a hallway. This hallway in joined onto the main living space of the house, however while the living space floor (hardwood) is level, the new hallway floor is not level (sloping down the length of the hallway away from the living space). I want a seamless transition from the open living space and into the hallway so that you can't tell it was a renovation, however the current hallway slope makes this difficult. Of importance is that the hall has an extreme slope immediately (~1" in 2.5'), and then levels out a little bit (another 1/4" in the following 6').
    Overview.jpg

As a solution, I am considering using concrete leveler on the hallway floor. However this triggers issues with the three doors that are serviced by this hallway, as raising the hallway floor to level would result in large transition drops at each door. I'm considering 4 options, some more viable than others. I've described the options below and attached images of the area for reference.
    Thresholds.jpg

I also did a mock up of the 4 options and have compiled the expected final measurements, drops, slopes, etc. in the attached table. I've highlighted in red the number that I think cause issues with each option.

Also a quick CAD sketch of the area in plan view, as well as a section of the floor showing the planned used of topping in the area.

In general, I'm looking for ideas and feedback. If anyone has ideas on how to do this better. All 4 options seem to me to be less than ideal.

Option #1: Level the hallway. Bring entire hallway elevation up to match neighboring living space.
    Pro's: Hall is level and matches existing house
    Con's: very large transitions drops at all rooms (~1-1/4")

Option #2: Place leveler on a slope matching the elevation of the existing living space subfloor at the start of the hallway, and working to a feathered edge at the end of the hall.
    Pro's: Slope may be gradual enough to avoid detection (~1%)
    Con's: transition on hallways side walls will need to deal with a ramp on one side (skewed transition strip)

Option #3: Place leveler on a slope matching the elevation of the existing living space subfloor at the start of the hall, and working to a slightly raised edge at the end of the hall.
    Pro's:
    - Slope may be gradual enough to avoid detection, better than option 2. (~0.75%)
    - effect of skewed transition strips will be lessened as the floor will be more level than option 2, but skewing will still exist.
    Con's:
    - raises hallway floor at the doorways slightly more than option #2, and therefore increases transition drops.

Option #4: Place leveler on a slope over the first 4' of the hallway and stop is prior to getting to the doorways.
    Pro's:
    - Slope would be better than current arrangement.
    - No topping interaction with the door thresholds and therefore no skewed transition strips.
    Con's:
    - Slope is much more significant and abrupt. The hardwood would have to move from a section of level floor in the living space, to a 2% slope over 4ft, and back to level floor at the end of the hallway.

Attached Files:

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

The floor will need to be level to the living room as no doorway there.
    What floor coverings are going in the bedrooms

3. lebrouillard

lebrouillard New Member

I'm considering a flush transition in that location so that I would be able to hide a slight change in slope. I don't have matching hardwood anyway, so a break is likely needed no matter what.

Two of the bedrooms are laminated wood, and the other is click vinyl tile.

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

You could built them up with plywood

5. lebrouillard

lebrouillard New Member

Yes, agreed.

Sadly, that has significant downstream issues and I think I would just have the same issue in other places until the entire house has been built up.