Is my logic right? Quick Step Alpha Vinyl

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by nezdub, Jan 25, 2024.

1. nezdub

nezdub Member

Hello, any thoughts or advice welcome.

Looking to replace kitchen and hallway knackered engineered wood in Edwardian house, about 45 sqm.

Underfloor is insulated, so I'm looking to remove engineered wood (currently sits atop chipboard, then joists) and install Quick Step Vinyl (AVMTU40276 pebble-concrete) - forgive me as I can't post links yet.

The room is East facing with large glass, so no intense heat, just some light in the morning. I've read about the issues with click systems in direct sunlight, so would also install the Quick Step Heat underlay as well (Red underlay).

Aiming to do this myself and so prep work is key.

Does this seem like a decent plan? Would I need to install 6mm ply on top of chipboard before the underlay? Is the Heat underlay overkill?

I've also looked a Karndean Van Gogh Korlok and Glue down as a potential - this one seems the least complicated.

Thanks very much!

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Is the floor completely flat ?

3. nezdub

nezdub Member

It is indeed

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

My personal preference would be korlok, I find it the easiest to fit,looks good, never had any issues with it so far, comes with built in underlay and if the floor is flat, you can just put it straight down

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Youll be fine with quickstep and karndean. Both have excellent locking systems. You will need to use the heat underlay with quickstep. They bought it out because vinyl clic floors were having trouble with standard underlay in sublight/heat. Or use karndean ridgid as it has the underlay already attached. If the floor is flat you wont need to use plywood

6. nezdub

nezdub Member

Thank you. The new quickstep alpha has 1mm underlay attached to the bottom already - does that make heat underlay redundant? similar to karndean rigid?

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I would presume so

8. nezdub

nezdub Member

@merit In your view, would there be an issue in using additional underlay, even though it's already built in? thinking about the upstairs and sound deadening. Thank you

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I wouldnt use additional underlay but you could bond down some sort of accoustic underlay. Regupol and wakol make some.

10. nezdub

nezdub Member

Thank you

11. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Good luck

12. nezdub

nezdub Member

Thanks for the help so far.

I'm needing to raise the floor by 5.5mm to join the hallway, so will be overboarding 18mm chipboard subfloor with 5.5mm ply.

Then quickstep alpha will go on top.

For the ply, what glue and screws would you recommend?

should I aim to glue as much of the surface as possible?

Thank you

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You don’t need to glue the ply. Just screw it down or coil nail. Or staple with divergent staples