line across karndean

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by sara, Oct 1, 2018.

1. sara

sara Member

hi there,

we had an extension to the back of our house 12 months ago and karndean throughout (the existing and new part of the house downstairs). In the last two weeks this line has appeared where the new extension meets the old house and there is a ridge in the floor. A friend has said that the concrete floor has dropped and this will be a crack underneath. My question is how can this be rectified, whose fault is it and will it get worse if left? the karndean cost £3200 and was a installer from a showroom that stocks karndean. your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Is all the floor concrete or Only the new part ?

3. sara

sara Member

the new part is concrete, the old part was the existing house floor and it had carpet/floor tiles on. the old floor was slightly higher than the new but the floorer put down screed to level it off

4. sara

sara Member

so I assume the old part is concrete too?

5. Spacey

If you knock on the floor with your hand it will sound different if the old part is wood.

6. sara

sara Member

I have some photos of when it was being done that I will upload now

Attached Files:

7. sara

sara Member

the crack is alomg the line you can see I the first pic where the two floors meet

8. sara

sara Member

the old part is concrete not wood

9. sara

sara Member

here are some more pics
    I appreciate your help, thank you

Attached Files:

10. Spacey

Looks like the new concrete hasn't been stitched to the old and the floorlayer has just screeded over the transition without using any kind of crack repair

11. sara

sara Member

thank you for your advice. should the builder have done this or should it have been the floorer in your opinion?

12. Spacey

Well the builder shouldn't have left a gap like that between the two and the floorlayer should have known better

It's possible to rectify to a point but there's no guarantee it won't show through again with the gap being so wide

13. sara

sara Member

ok thanks, not really sure who to go to first as I am guessing both will pass the blame to each other. I wish the floorer could have warned us though and then maybe we wouldn't have had the whole downstairs karndean'd for £3k. Is there a typre of flooring tha would work with this gap then or does the concrete floor need to be relaid? thanks for your advice.

14. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Hi, Can you remember if the new part had any insulation put in the floor before the subfloor was installed?
    Also, was the subfloor poured in or did the builder mix it up himself?

15. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

It could be cellotex and gypsum, it could have dropped, seen it before!

16. Spacey

Could be but still shouldn't have screeded over that gap

17. sara

sara Member

The floor did have insulation put in to it and it was poured.
    Also looking back at the pictures it does look like a big gap but the black you can see is the ‘plastic’ membrane sticking up.
    Thank you for all of your opinions

18. sara

sara Member

45DD0E2E-1DC5-4D3A-BD66-A0A626591558.jpeg

Attached Files:

19. sara

sara Member

They used celotex boards and also some wire grids in the concrete floor I think

20. sara

sara Member

This is the floor after it was laid, the back of the house was then knocked out and this is where the line has appeared

Attached Files: