looking for advice: Amtico spacia herringbone adhesive

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Myr, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Myr

Myr Member

Hi all,

We are laying 50 square meters of Amtico herringbone in a lounge/ kitchen area and flowing through into the hall. The room is south facing with patio doors and the subfloor is Mapei self levelling compound.

I have spoken to a couple of flooring guys I know and both have given different advise on the adhesive. One suggested F46 throughout and the other Uzin K 2000 S. After reading through the forum I am wondering if this is wise although both said they have never had a problem.

I am leaning towards the Uzin KE 66 in front of the doors. Would you guys use this throughout or would you change adhesive once away from the sunlight or is another product more preferable?

Cheers

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Same adhesive all the way.
    KE66 OR KE49 wet set (leave glue to air few mins and fit straight into it at a section at a time)

I personally wouldn't be using it as a pressure sensitive adhesive.

Any UFH?

3. Myr

Myr Member

Thanks for replying!
    No underfloor heating. Would you use the same glue over the whole floor or just where the sunlight will hit?
    Another question comes to mind. Would you put the skirtings on before or after laying the floor? I was intending to put them on after.

4. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Skirtings fitted before fitting, HT wet set through out for the adhesive

5. Rugmunching

Skirts first if you already havnt screeded but if its screeded already then just fit then bang the Skirts on after and give them a firm fitting because you'll already have shadow lines no doubt.

.....or fit Skirts, feather where needed to allow the amtico to sit nicely against the skirt and not slide under in random places

Same adhesive throughout

6. Myr

Myr Member

Yeah I get the logic now of fitting the skirts first. I didn't because they are MDF and didn't want them to swell up and also when I'm making furniture I always put the vertical on top of a horizontal. Force of habit I guess. I suppose I will feather if there is a serious shadow gap. Thanks for the tips!

Back onto glues. Do you guys rate the Mapei VS90 plus?

7. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I would probably use ke49

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Vs90 is naff. Its very cheap adhesive

9. Myr

Myr Member

Oh, I had thought that Mapei was supposed to be a good brand! Is it liable to cause problems?

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Ke 66 or 49 is much better

11. Rugmunching

I've only ever used the VS90 a couple times a long time ago and the grab was real good but I always use Uzin adhesives now

12. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

|Hi Merit,
    A serious question:

Is it naff because it's cheap or is it naff because you've tried it and it's naff?

I ask because I'm curious because I guess the underlying question is:

Does price give us a perception of quality or lack of quality in products generally that affect our purchasing decisions, and then our conclusions when testing or using a product?

Same question to you Rugmunching (if you don't mind)

Thanks in advance to both of you.

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I started to use it because i thought wow that’s much cheaper than many of the other adhesives and it claims to be suitable for a wide range of installations. Lets give it a go. Over time i found it had a poor grab and its messy. I just felt that although they are more expensive the uzin products were better and cleaner to use. I think with goes for most products that are cheap,, they are cheap for a reason or lots of reasons

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It almost feels as if its cheaper because they put less glue in it. Bulk it out with something else

15. Benjabloodymino

Benjabloodymino Well-Known Member

We just use Amtico HT extra for most installations.

16. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

Thanks for answering, much appreciated.

17. Myr

Myr Member

I've ordered some KE 49. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I see that the recommendation is to keep the room at about 18+ degrees before and while laying the floor. How is the Amtico for shrinkage. I did read somewhere about laying the Amtico a bit colder.

With the KE 49 am I correct in saying to give it five minutes before laying the Amtico. How long would you give it before rollering?

Who makes the Amtico HT extra?

Ouch, too many questions :)
    Cheers