LVT concrete prep

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by nkumar11, Feb 14, 2024.

1. nkumar11

nkumar11 Member

I moved into a new build that has a concrete subfloor: Cemex reinforced block & beam with fibres.

we booked our LVT fitter and they mentioned that the floor needed to be grinded because of something on the top layer of the concrete.

We’ve had someone in with a diamond edged grinder and they’ve struggled to get this top layer off.

Now the LVT fitter is refusing to fit unless it all comes off. They are worried the top layer may pull off. However, it’s hard to imagine given that a diamond edged grinder is struggling to get it off.

However, the team would grinded the floor are saying whatever the top layer is, is incredibly hard and it’s going to be a messy/costly job to completely remove it. Also will take a few mm off the top layer.

Any advice?

I am trying to find out from the builder what the top layer is. They keep saying it’s just concrete and they lay loads of LVTs and have no problems - they don’t usually need to grind the floor either.

Attached Files:

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Most builders will tell you that :rolleyes:
    With the right kit it'll grind down easy enough just that the longer it's left the more Time you'll need to spend on it.

Won't your floorlayer do it if you pay him?

3. nkumar11

nkumar11 Member

Thanks for your reply!

No I don’t think he has the right equipment. We bought through a store but the store hires independent contractors.

I found a local company to do it, they said they could come back with a bigger machine but they said that they would struggle to get it all off at the edges. Plus would be expensive and even more dusty (we’re living at the property).

Have you come across this before? Do you think it all needs to come off?

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

That’s looks weird that. Without looking at it it’s hard to say. Could be a wax finish. Yes I’d say needs to come off. What grinder did they have?

5. nkumar11

nkumar11 Member

No one seems to know what it is

used something like this

Attached Files:

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Could need a floor scabler. Very messy. What area you in ?

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

What a shambles

8. nkumar11

nkumar11 Member

In Yorkshire, anyone you would recommend who can sort it?

9. nkumar11

nkumar11 Member

Do they need to grind it down to the very edges?

10. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

As close as possible.
    My hand machine can right up to the skirts but have to be very careful

11. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Ring ardex up and see if they can send a tech rep out to do a spec. All flooring company’s can use this service for free.

12. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

That machine you have in the picture is not heavy enough, also can't really see the 5 segments but they need to be split/crush type.
    A good vacuum will be ok but that needs to be around 600m3/h if 240v or around 450m3/h if 110v and rated H class.
    Dust blocker will also help, it draws dusty air in filters it then releases clean air out.

13. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

Where abouts in Yorkshire?