Magnesite floor removal

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by magicfinbow, Jan 30, 2024.

1. magicfinbow

magicfinbow New Member

Hi,

We've recently purchased a house and part of the work that needed doing was a new downstairs floor. Turns out the subfloor is magnesite. I tested it via a moisture meter and its off the charts, reddish pink etc etc. Assuming there's no asbestos in there (i'm getting a sample sent off to test) who is best placed to remove this? Our floor fitter basically said "come back to us when its gone"

I live in Somerset and am having a hell of a job trying to find any company online "semi locally" that even mentions magnesite removal

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Get it all up and out then get asphalt at 20mm in.

3. magicfinbow

magicfinbow New Member

what kind of company would remove this floor? As I said no flooring companies near me are wanting to even touch this. A builder?

4. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Took one up a few weeks ago, chisel on sds drill, came up fine. Builder came and put a concrete slab in then prepped as normal

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

A builder yes.

6. magicfinbow

magicfinbow New Member

so there's a possibility there's nothing underneath the magnesite? or it needs replacing ?

7. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Was just compacted earth under this one, magnesite was 75mm deep, builder came, dpm sheet and new slab put in

8. magicfinbow

magicfinbow New Member

ok thats food for thought, thank you