New build floor failure

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by HC&F, Feb 2, 2024.

1. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Went to screed & install amtico to a new build last week.

The floor had been screeded by the site and was blown in places, front of the house was 3/4mm deep back of the house was upto 25/30mm. Story behind it is the company that poured the subfloor got the levels massively out so the sites flooring guys go in and screed it level with a product called rockatex, admittedly I’ve never heard of this.

it’s the rockatex that’s blew off the subfloor, with the fatal crisp packet sound when walking over.

obviously I walked away and said it all needs to come up. Customer calls the shop and asks if I’ll have a meeting with the site manager & the sites flooring guys which I agree. The sites flooring guys have drilled 6mm holes through the rockatex and poured little bits of resin adhesive into the holes to glue it to the subfloor! I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it.

Now the sites insisting to the customer it’s good to go over, however I still told them it needs to come up.

Company I sub to have walked away and sold the product on supply only for the site to fit onto the resin stuck floor,

anyone else ever heard of anything like this?

2. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Yes.
    They will come up with any old shit, to get the job off there hands.
    It will come back to them again & again, only for them to do the same old thing every time. Just the quickest fix possible, to get it off there plate.
    No thought at all for the end user, or any thoughts about longevity.

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

That explains what I seen several yrs back on a new build, the labourers had this huge caulk gun like it had a course of steroids and they were drilling holes and pumping some sort of substance into the floor every m2 or so. Foooooookin cowboys

4. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Yea these holes were about every 12 inches, couldn’t believe it.

5. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Unless you are involved in new build, you would never believe some of the things that go on.
    You would also never buy one.
    Barratts are knocking close to 100 houses near me flat, as there falling over....

6. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

The only ones we do are after they’ve been handed over to customer, I can’t imagine what goes on before that haha

7. Rugmunching

Same here, my new builds are always private.
    There was one occasion where I started work and noticed there was a leak in the wc so told the customer who hadnt moved in yet, they told the site foreman and next morning a 'plumber' with decorators overalls on o_O turned up and literally used about 3 tubes of silicon sealing the toilet back in. He alerted me not to 'sit on the toilet' for atleast 24hrs and off he went.

I decided to have a nose and from what I could work out he gunked the waste pipe as much as he could, popped it back on the toilet, placed it down and siliconed it to the floor and cistern to the wall :eek:
    ....closer inspection on the screws he put a snapped screw back in the side hole and whacked some silicone in there as well (how do I know this....I pushed the screw with my knife and it had play) couldn't believe it.

Had to tell my customer but never did find out what happened because I finished that day.
    I would never buy a new build unless I had it built by my own builder, Mrs loves them, I don't like them at all, proper simple, hardly any character

8. Rugmunching

Holy shit

9. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Yea t
    Yeah there all awful bland looking estates, cannot see the appeal

10. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

Rocatex is a company up in Harrogate, I've used their screed a few times the fibre water based in a yellow bag, it's not too bad and it's alot cheaper than the f ball, ardex ones.

Who you doing job for?

11. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

I’m not doing the job anymore, the developer is persimmons & they’ve bought the tiles on a supply only basis and there flooring lads are bodging the subfloor & laying the tiles. We’ve got nothing more to do with it

12. nevertrever2

nevertrever2 Well-Known Member

Are big house builders employing their own flooring guys now and buying amtico direct?

13. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

No there flooring guys are sub contractors as far as I’m aware, the customers home it was came to us, a local independent but we couldn’t do the job due to tha failed subfloor. So the developer bought the tiles from us and getting there cowboys to fit them

14. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Best option, leave your number with the clients for a later date. :D