Newbie here... got my first LVT job coming up :)

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by erisu, Nov 6, 2023.

1. erisu

erisu Member

Hi everyone,

Great to be here to learn from everyone! I'm a total newbie and never done any sort of flooring before so keen to know how it's all done :)

Currently have carpet and looking to rip it all up over the next few weeks and replace with LVT (The click and join type). Have some sort of idea how it's done but here to double check things over so do spare this newbie some daft questions :)

Cheers and great to e-meet everyone here!

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Make sure there isn’t much direct sunlight on the floor

3. erisu

erisu Member

Thanks for the advise! What will happen? Will they expand/raise up?

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

They can do depending how much sun and how hot it gets. We don’t sell any clicks now. I will wait a few years to see How these new Rigid clicks do

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Ok first step…
    Take it back to where you bought it, and get a floor that works

6. erisu

erisu Member

Not sure what the reference is here, but under my old carpet is concrete so should be ok? (Understand the floor needs to be flat and levelled which I hope it is...)

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Lvt clic is terrible. Van Gogh rigid is the only one I’ve ever fitted and been impressed with. That and quickstep alpha. Both are over £40 per m2. The cheap ones are poorly made and the locking systems don’t work. Your better off with a laminate, engineered wood or a glue down lvt

8. erisu

erisu Member

The ones I want are Rigid Core click. Ordered a sample and it seems pretty tough and scratch resistant and very, very difficult to break the bevels/edges off?

Had a look at laminate but they're much cheaper but less waterproof and durable than LVT's I heard?

9. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Laminate is tougher than lvt, most quickstep Laminate is waterproof, we only sell the high end click lvt ( karndean, coretec and quickstep, although not too sure about quickstep yet),too many failures with the cheaper stuff

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Even the rigid clic moves. It’s not as advertised. As already mentioned most can’t be in direct sunlight. Impervia is the best I’ve seen with the heat but the locking system is still weak.

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

laminate is defiantly much more durable. It’s already stood the test of time if you buy the right ones. Rigid clic hasn’t been around long.

12. erisu

erisu Member

Thanks everyone! I've ordered some laminate flooring samples so I can compare them against the LVT rigid core samples I have.

Still pondering if I should lay the floor myself or hire professionals. I have an area of 57.2 m2 to cover (living room, 2 bedrooms, small hallway, small storage room). Any idea how much this should cost in London?

Cheers!

13. erisu

erisu Member

I also want to ask what sort of threshold or door end do I put at the end of this? I have this brown wooden plank in front of my balcony door, and as you can see it's at an angle so putting a threshold here might not fit?

Attached Files:

14. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd take out the wood, sort out the mess they've hidden and run the new floor up to the doors and finish with beading

15. nezdub

nezdub Member

Quick Step Alpha has the 1mm integrated underlay - would that mean I wouldn't need to get the red Heat underlay in case of sunlight? Looking at installing myself.

16. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Last time i fitted alpha we had to use the underlay with it.

17. nezdub

nezdub Member

Thank you

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk