Orientation of carpet pile on angled steps

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Steve I, Feb 27, 2024.

1. Steve I

Steve I Member

Hello, I just had new carpet installed on the two curved staircases of my house and am surprised to see that on most steps the installer aligned the row/pile with the back of the step instead of aligning it with the nosing. It's not even consistent - on the first step the pile is aligned with the nosing, the next few around the turn are aligned with the back of the step, then the middle steps are random and not aligned to either the nosing or back of the step. In addition, it appears the carpet used on the risers was cut separately so the pile of these pieces don't align with the the piece above or below, and sometimes aren't even horizontal creating an uneven and jagged edge. I admit to being a perfectionist but to me this does not look like a professional job.

Would love to hear what you all think of the overall job and if the pile should be aligned with the nosing, as I would have expected and as it was previously, or is it acceptable to align with the back of the step?

IMG_0705.jpg IMG_0708.jpg IMG_0709.jpg IMG_0711.jpg

thanks for the help!
    Steve

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

The pile should be straight with each nosing or it looks odd. He may have tried to save on carpet. Cant think of any other reason hed fit it like that

3. Steve I

Steve I Member

thanks, Merit. They have rolls of carpet left over so there was no need to save on carpet.

4. Steve I

Steve I Member

one more question: the installers confirmed that separate pieces of carpet were cut for the risers, which creates a visible seam at both the bottom and top of each riser. Shouldn't a singe piece of carpet be used for the riser, nosing, and step?
    in the photo you can also see that the pieces cut for the riser are not straight. Sigh... IMG_0718.jpg

5. dom1916

dom1916 New Member

Wouldn’t have recommended fitting that carpet in this style. Should have been fitted waterfall effect would have looked much neater.
    Did you as to have it finished under the nosings ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Steve I

Steve I Member

7. Steve I

Steve I Member

They did fit it under the nosing. It’s not a bull nose but rather has a profile under the lip. My house in the Netherlands (I’m here for my work) and they do some things a bit ‘differently’. They also glue everything instead of tacking it with staples. IMG_0702.jpeg

8. dom1916

dom1916 New Member

[​IMG]
    Same carpet , fitted waterfall effect with gripper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk