Screed Rakes?

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by tombo_83, Mar 10, 2024.

1. tombo_83

tombo_83 Well-Known Member

Hi, I’m about to screed 10mm Mapei renovation over our ufh grooved aluminium boards and ufh pipes. I’ve decided on advice here to screed 6mm then finish finally with another 3 - 4mm on top, hoping to achieve a flatter finish doing in two.
    I can’t use spiked shoes for the first pour as the boards and pipes would potentially puncture.

I’m thinking either a pin rake or wolff rake with teeth to try to get as level as possible a layer of 6mm on top for my first pour. After that I’ll prime and go again, this time with spiked shoes to get hopefully a better finish.

Any advice on the best way to achieve a flat and uniform 6mm first pour given I have softish aluminium boards?

I did contemplate setting up level screws throughout the floor to gauge the screed height but think these will Interfere with the spiked roller?

This is an add on to a few previous questions I’ve posted, to which I received great advice so thanks.

Cheers, Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Dont use a wolff rake with small teeth or you’ll pull all the fibres out of it. We use the midwest screed rake so there’s plenty of space for the fibres. Or set some height as you say and just drop it in.

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Don't over think it, 1st coat on your knees go deep enough and use a spike roller, 3md coat same again but paying more attention the spike roll it to death.

I take it you have laid a screed before?

4. Rugmunching

Or use the Midwest rake if you are going the rake route

5. tombo_83

I’ll have a look at the Midwest rake, point taken about the wolff rake. I’ll abandon that idea - thanks. I’ve done screeding a few times before, but always in prep for tiles and with more leeway for bumps or inconsistency with a tile and adhesive. Also never done it on top of the aluminium ufh boards so a little nervous about that.

Just reading tonight another thread of a lady who’s having issues with 5mm of Mapei renovation over these exact same boards…granted we’re planning 10mm and there’s no potential issues with damp as it’s at first floor… still makes me want to get it right.

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They are awful. They should be overlaid with something better than screed or beneath a subfloor in my opinion

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Theres alot of money to be made from them tho so im sure its gonna be around for awhile

8. Benjabloodymino

Benjabloodymino Well-Known Member

9. Rugmunching

Best rake I've used so far, so easy as well.

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yep. That’s what i use. Love it

11. tombo_83

I’m looking into these at the moment - thanks

12. tombo_83

I’ve purchased a cam gauge screed rake new from a seller on eBay. Keen to give it a go when we pour next week. Thanks for the advice

13. Benjabloodymino

Benjabloodymino Well-Known Member

I used to masking tape the skirts so you could push it round easier. Found you got it more even on the boundaries that way.