Screeding over UFH insulation boards...?

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by bcdr051986, Apr 8, 2024.

1. bcdr051986

bcdr051986 Member

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is not posted to the right forum...wonder if anyone has any ideas for this situation, we have recently put in an underfloor heating system using 20mm EPS 400 insulation boards stuck onto concrete subfloor, with a 4mm thermal underlay and 8mm vinyl floor floated on top. We went for this option mainly as ceiling height is limited and we wanted to keep the loss of headroom to a minimum.

Job is now complete but unfortunately there are a few uneven spots where the laminate is noticeably moving a bit....floor fitter did not flag any concerns during the job, but it feels to me like maybe they have cut away lots of the insulation board where there were multiple pipe runs this has created a couple of weakpoints. No visible damage to date, but I'm conscious this might not be a good situation in the long run as laminate will presumably experience excess wear-and-tear where we are walking on these dips.

Obviously any fix will involve lifting and relaying the underlay and laminate, with a lot of faff to move furniture and whatnot out. However what I absolutely will not be doing is ripping up and refitting the UFH too! I'm wondering if it might be an option to leave the insulation boards and pipework in place and screed over.....has anyone ever heard of or tried this option? Is it workable in principle, or are the boards likely to compress or shift around and cause the screed to fail? If this is viable, how deep would the screed need to be and how much additional headroom is likely to be lost? Or am I better off learning to live with a couple of bits of wobbly floor??

Thanks very much for any feedback

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Is it laminate or vinyl click ?

3. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

How have the eps boards been fixed down ? Fully prime the surface of the eps boards and cover with a min of 10mm flexi compound