Time to get an Apprentice!

Discussion in 'Apprenticeships' started by G.W Flooring, Sep 20, 2014.

1. G.W Flooring

G.W Flooring Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have had a lad helping me for a while now but he has gone off to do IT he was self employed which made things easy. So im now looking at employing an apprentice I was thinking about 30hrs (Not sure if there is a set limit?). Anyone done it recently? I don't have a clue where to start so any help or info would be great.

2. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

When I took Charlie on I just got the accountant to put him on the payroll.
    No contract or anything, no set hours, just a day rate. You can set up a zero hours contract if you want to.
    Your accountant should be able to deal with everything I would have thought.

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I've just employed my brother in law and he is doing an apprenticeship with Floorskills. He's on the minimum wage for an apprentice for the first year which you should be able to cover easily. His first year is done in October and I can now afford to pay him extra as he is doing a lot of fitting and helping us get through a lot more work. The wood apprenticeship he is doing is great and you get a lot of funding to help ease the cost.

4. G.W Flooring

The main problem I have is I don't have anyone in mind so would need to advertise etc. I would of thought I would need to have some sort of contract to give them? What is the wage for their first year?

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Have you looked at apprenticeship.org.uk? Or maybe Floorskills could help source someone. I know what your saying tho...I didn't get back to apprenticeship as I was a but worried about who they would send out. Maybe of you put the word out you are looking for someone they will come to you. I've never bothered with contracts and I never had a contract in all the jobs I was employed in but they are a good idea. Wage depends on age but first year apprenticeship is affordable, have to check the rates online as I can't remember hourly rate exactly.

6. G.W Flooring

Cheers mate will have a look at that site. Did you employ first then find a course for them or find a course first?

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Employe first as they need to be employed to join the course