TLC LVT Tiles

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by steveoelliott, Jan 25, 2024.

1. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

Hi,

I have TLC LVT tiles in my kitchen that we inherited when we purchased the house. I've since learnt these are considered to be fairly budget tiles.

They have a wear layer of 0.3mm which I suspect may be part of the problem which should be clear from the attached photos. The floor does have scratches which there is nothing we can do about but it's the mottled effect on the tiles that bothers me. I'd like to just get a dull matt finish on them. I've tried Kardean refresh (TLC do the same product also) but it makes no difference.

Does anybody know what has caused this and if there is anything we can do about it? We've got 4 year old twins so I don't want to replace the floor until they are a little older :) On dull days or evenings you don't notice but when the sun shines through, it looks horrendous.

Thanks in advance...

Attached Files:

2. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Looks like the previous owner may have put some sort of coating on it,that has partially worn off, though i could be wrong

3. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

Well... I have in fact just tried scrubbing the floor on my hands and knees with a scourer and neat Kardean Remove. And yes the tile I tested on looks much better!

The question I now have is what on earth could the coating be to be this tough and secondly what is the best and safest way to remove it. Doing by hand on my hands and knees would take forever!

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

It might be worth getting in a professional cleaner, it might cost a couple of hundred quid, but he'll have the machinery and products to leave you with a decent looking floor that will last you a few more years, at least get a price, so you can weigh up if it's worth your time and effort of doing it yourself

5. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

That's what I am now thinking to be honest.

6. Ryanf4888

Ryanf4888 Well-Known Member

Where about are you located? Might be someone on here who is able to help, or knows someone close to you who can help you out

7. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

Kettering, Uk

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You could try amtico floor stripper and dresser

9. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

Is this any different to the Kardean Remove product?

10. Easifit Flooring

Easifit Flooring New Member

Hi there,

It looks like you're dealing with some issues with your TLC LVT tiles. The wear layer and scratches seem to be bothering you, and you've tried Karndean Refresh without success. The mottled effect is a concern, especially in sunlight.

Considering your situation with 4-year-old twins, you're wisely avoiding a full floor replacement for now. To address the dullness and mottled effect, you might want to explore professional refinishing services or specific products recommended by TLC for restoring the tiles to a matte finish.

Community members with similar experiences might have valuable insights, so feel free to share any suggestions or advice. Best of luck in finding a solution that works for your kitchen flooring!

11. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

What’s with all the AI posts lately….

12. steveoelliott

steveoelliott Member

Just to circle back, I actually contacted the guy who cleans our carpets and asked if this was something he did or was able to recommend somebody. He said that he'd undertaken this before and had a stronger stripper chemical. He came applied to the floor, scrubbed with a decking brush and then rinsed. I opted not to reseal the floor as the old sealer had gone yellow and patchy. The floors come without a sealer and ultimately reapplying it would just create more work for the future. It took him around 2 hours in total and the product he used was "Carefree Speed Stripper". It smelt much stronger than the products I used and did the job.