Using LVT/porcelain floor tiles/ufh/no more ply on a suspended wooden floor

Discussion in 'FAQ Section For Consumers' started by Jane Hansen, Jun 6, 2023.

1. Jane Hansen

Jane Hansen New Member

Hello. I am a lady with not much building knowledge. I am in the early days of renovating a house built in 1912. Has joists and floorboards. Heating engineer advised underfloor heating as high ceilings so would need massive rads for a low flow temp as required by building regs. But once kitchen goes in there will not be much floor space so I am not sure we will actually get enough heat out of the UFH. Anyway, the builder advised that it is best to take up the original floor boards and insulate between joists with celotex or similar. So heating engineer suggested the over joist, Joist Deck system from tradeunderfloor .co . uk which is 22mm chipboard with 16mm routed channels..the channels compromise the strength a bit so the supplier says 9mm ply needs to be laid over it to give structural strength. I was looking at 6mm No More Ply as well instead of the 9mm plywood. So my first question is whether you think 6mm no more ply would be enough to give structural strength and a solid surface for flooring...and is no more ply the better option? Second question is about the type of floor. I am not convinced there will be enough heat output from this system so I really need to have it running as efficiently as possible. So I was thinking LVT as it is thin..maybe Invicta maximus parquet. But I have seen so many posts about LVT being affected by floor temp or sunlight or moisture or joints in subfloor that I thought maybe rustic porcelain tiles (which seem to be 10mm thick) might be a better option. So after all that (sorry for long post) I wondered if anyone had advice/concerns about using porcelain tiles over 22mm routed board and 6mm NMP on wooden joists. I was thinking I would go for smaller or medium size tiles to reduce risk of cracking. Should I be concerned about the weight of the tiles on my Edwardian floor joists too? My head is spinning and I am like a rabbit in headlights. Would really appreciate advice. Thank you.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Think you would be best asking this question on the ceramic tilers forum.

3. Brian Zhao

Brian Zhao New Member

Nowadays, LVT or SPC flooring has undergone tempering treatment to reduce the characteristics of thermal expansion and contraction. When it's hot, the floors won't squeeze each other, and when it's cold, there won't be any gaps. I am not boasting about LVT flooring just because I sell it. The current technology can achieve these functions. I still recommend LVT or SPC flooring, as they have excellent wear resistance, corrosion resistance, and slip resistance.

4. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Think your better off with a tile floor on a decoupling matt or a floated floor after the 9mm ply