What van to use for carpet and vinyl fitting?

Discussion in 'Random Chat' started by MrNice, Mar 14, 2023.

1. MrNice

MrNice Active Member

As above really guys I'm starting up for myself and want to know what van I should get? Atm I use a long wheelbase transit at I can get 4m carpets in the back.

Cheers.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I’m using smaller van now as the big van was a pain. Doing less carpets too. I like the vivaro as I can get skirting boards in under the seat and plenty of room for a smaller van. Looking at a fold down roof rack for the new van I think. Get a few carpets on top. Can’t really beat the lwb sprinter for carpet in with doors shut but it’s like driving a bus all day

3. MrNice

MrNice Active Member

Cheers mate, we used to use a scooby door mystery machine style mazda when I first started out, funny little thing, you had to fold the passenger seats down to get a carpet in lol

4. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

You don't see many fitters using estate cars anymore

5. MrNice

MrNice Active Member

I've used my old 1996 Landrover Discovery before

6. Benjabloodymino

Benjabloodymino Well-Known Member

My old place got us all Peugeot Boxers, worked fine carpets at an angle in the back. Good level of kit as standard in them too.

7. Richard O'Driscoll

Richard O'Driscoll New Member

I use a lwb vivaro and love it much to the amusement of some of the other blokes with lwb sprinters with about 80% of the room in the back just not used

8. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Lets be honest though, unless its just 2x cuts less then 3.0 you cant get much carpet in.
    I run one with a roof rack, but if its pissing down, the Crafter is a far better bet.
    For everything else mine has been pretty good. Has a nox sensor fault now, which throws up the adblue fault, so need that sorted at some point.

9. Paul webb

I use a lwb transit connect most of the time, plenty of room for laminate and lvt jobs,can even get 3m vynil in, plus it's economical, my sprinter is parked up most of the time, but it's ideal for carpet and bigger jobs, it's 14years old and done 320000 miles, but i don't use it enough to justify buying a newer one

10. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

You mustn’t be able to get plywood in the connect though?

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

yeah same. Loved it

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

yeah I had one of them last few years. Perfect for carpets. Handbrake on the right side use to annoy me

13. Paul webb

Just cut them in half, if it's a big ply job then i use the sprinter on the first day, just a pity the connect isn't a foot longer

14. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You mean the custom and not connect?? Or you saying the connect does fit 3m rolls in?

15. Paul webb

Connect, got 7ft in the back and 3m will fit diagonally and into the footwell

16. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

How many bags of screed you had in there comfortable?

17. Paul webb

Normally up to about 15,any more than that i'm normally taking the big buckets aswell, so take the big van