Advanced LVT 2 day course (Birmingham)

Discussion in 'Flooring Courses' started by Matt, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

you coming straight to training centre or hotel first? (monday)

Can pick you two up from hotel if want?

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Yeah will do then mate, sound. What time at hotel? Leaving Liverpool 6.30.

3. Matt

would need to pick you up at hotel by 8.30 latest

4. Matt

just to remind all that the course is tomorrow

Any issues my number is 07971199204

5. bournemouth

bournemouth Super Moderator

6. Matt

4.30 ! :D

7. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

How'd it go then??
    Did you lads learn owt? lol :mrgreen:

8. Matt

Ye i learn a few things. :cool:

9. bournemouth

Course was good thanks matt Very interesting talking and seeing how others do things and good to put faces to forum replies and worth the money, and I also learnt how to put knee pads in my trousers :oops: thanks dazlight :lol:

10. Matt

A few pics from over the last 2 days.

First up we did some floor prep. Tried out different screed compounds and compared a range of different primers and tried out some dpm also

[​IMG]

We moved on to cover the new recommendations on preparing a wooden subfloor along with different ways of reading moister which we tried out and some top secret stuff that is ... well a secret... :shock:

We also had a go at installing a new 'click' lvt that is due to be on the U.K market later this year. Will be interesting to see how it holds up over the rough subfloor along with the fact i will be abusing it over next few months and seeing how it reacts to extreme heat (conservatory conditions)

Daz was busy on his phone giving us all a update about something or other.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time flies it is was 6pm before we knew it !

So today we got started on the LVT install. Normally we would install in the training bays. But been a group of lads that are advanced (well so Dazlight keeps telling me :roll: ) installers i figured we 'might' just end up with a impressive floorcovering that would be a shame to rip up. So we decided to install in the main walk area :cool: . We are not allowed to secure to the subfloor in the training center so we would bend the rules a bit and install on Mapie-lay that is a isolator membrane. ALL isolator Membranes are not recommend for installing LVT on. Not going to get tech on it but the truth is you can. We have proven this. It does however make the install of boarders etc a much harder challenge. But no worries, Daz was here ! (going to stop taking pee out of Daz now, sorry Daz. O did i mention Daz's trainers and his nifty sock trick to hide the holes? )

So we mark out and install some tiles with feature strip in a semi circle that will double up as a shower tray at the next stage. (sorry no pics)

Next we cracked on with bending a lvt plank around the 'shower tray' or should we say our semi circle of lvt tiles. Also to add we demoed a new method or beveling the edge of tiles. I think the lads was impressed with this nifty way of actually being able to bevel the tiles the same as factory and more so without a beveling tool :idea:

Now to confuse things we made things hard and actually did two different types of ways of installing boarder but in the same area. It was done more so show the difference and different techs and to show off how good the Mapei 'pressure sensitive' adhesive is when pushing it way past what other brands of adhesives can be used for. (hard to explain what we was doing but again i thing the regular pressure sensitive users was impressed with what can be done and how well it grabs the product with continued abuse through out the day)

So we ended up with this -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it looks fab lads. O and showing off there certificates !

[​IMG]

Massive thanks to all that came. Been a great 2 days and a great bunch of lads. Extra thanks to Daz for the helping out and some dodgy boarder thingy straight edge he done for me :oops:

Really hope you all enjoyed yourselves and more important actually learn't a few tricks to help you out on future installs. :mrgreen:

11. Matt

How funny. Are you going to tell us all what your issue was mate :oops:

12. bournemouth

Well my issue was with the snickers floorlayers trousers and the fact they never has a slit in the knee to slide the foam pads in until clever Daz says check inside, oh yeah there it is now I can put them in and will think about asking stupid questions in future to save me looking like a :knob and others thing oh god :jokko :lol:

13. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Great write up there matt, Good pictures too apart from the crack of my arse showing on one.
    Also when I was on my phone I was taking a picture of the floor lol, I will post my pictures up later.

Great 2 days ( and night ) again. Done some good stuff and I picked up some new tips as well. The bevel idea I had not tried before and worked well. Good trying out the primers and seeing the differance. Also learning about ways to check moisture in plywood and floorboards.

The LVT click - Good to lay some of this for the 1st time, not sure its something I want to get into but who knows the future. More of a DIY thing but at least I know how to do it now.

Good to do bit more bending borders etc, always good to keep upto date and watch how other people go about things.

Enjoyed the course and great to meet Vinny & Andy.

Had to laugh at Andy, 3 years with floorlaying pants and didnt know the pads went in on the insde. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I forgot my trainers and had to wear my work ones for the night out in the pub. I told Matt an worn white socks as have a hole in my shoe.......
    Funny as Graham, Andy & Vinny didnt notice.

Graham enjoyed the course too ( he doesnt go online ) he liked doing the bending borders as not the way he used to do them.
    Also the screeding with the spike roller he liked, Matt has a new way of screeding which works very well.

14. vman

vman Well-Known Member

:lol: daz sock trick with the trainers was a cracker, won't mention the knee pad incident ;) Yeah, great course. Learnt some top tips and techniques. Great to pick the brains of some of the flooring gurus. Also good to put some faces to the names on the forum. all in all, very informative and good value course. Will be putting my name down for future courses.
    P.s, looks like I've fell asleep in the last pic :lol: