Advice please - problem with Cormar carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Surrey1, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Surrey1

Surrey1 Member

Thanks, looking at the wood floor I doubt it's the finish but it could well be detergent residue.

That being said if it is detergent and dust etc then shouldn't that it be possible to wash that off the carpet? After all Cormar claim you can get stains off with bleach why wouldn't it be possible to wash off detergent and dust?

2. d'Arcy

d'Arcy Well-Known Member

So, it's the residuals of the cleaner that are they issue in those sort of cases. Much like if you were to use washing up liquid to clean a carpet (please, never do) as you'll have the water content evaporate, and the remains will be super sticky as opposed to the gloopy green stuff it starts as. Bleach will remove stains by cleaning the dis-colouration. This may well be cleaning product, in extremely dehydrated form, glued to your carpet.

A professional clean may help. Maybe even (oh, and I hate them with a passion) a steam clean... But as I say a few posts up: No promises...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Surrey1

Surrey1 Member

Thanks, at this point I don’t really have anything to lose except throwing out good money after bad. I have a steam cleaner although hadn’t thought to try it. Why do you hate them out of interest? I’ve found it very useful for cleaning ingrained dirt on tiles and hard surfaces but never tried it on a carpet.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It ruins wood floors, laminate and LVT! Good for ceramics tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. frazer hipkiss

frazer hipkiss Active Member

The warranty will be for wear (has it worn through) not its appearance, guarantees on carpets are misleading imo.

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s not worn through but it’s flapping around like there’s a tremor under it. I’m sure the back and middle of the carpet had worn. It’s just the pile that’s hanging on in there

7. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Did you go have a look at it? Could be a Cormar delamination special.

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s delaminated. We’ve also had loads of them delaminating on staircases. It looks like the carpets coming out of the gripper but it’s the carpet delaminating and loads of sand/dust where the backing is breaking down. Poor quality materials in my opinion

9. tarkett85

It’s Cormar no surprise, their backing has always been awful.

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah I warn customers about it now

11. tarkett85

I’ve dropped kingsmead because it’s horrendous for pile reversal, Cormar because of the shocking backing they’re not worth my time.

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yeah kingsmead does reverse. We’ve had it especially on their colours

13. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

Kingsmead backing isn't always great, even one of my stands has a serious case of dandruff

14. tarkett85

The problem is prices haven’t really gone up in decades, they just keep cutting corners on the quality and sadly the customer don’t understand that to get the quality they had 15-20 years ago they need to triple the price they paid then nearly.

15. Samnic

Samnic New Member

Really really interesting to read this forum -
    Can you please advise on a good carpet that will not suffer delamination for a living room - we have had a Cormar carpet fitted - primo ultra - after 14 months a bald spot appeared, and now another one, on inspection carpet backing has delaminated, had no idea Cormar had this rep, currently in dispute with them. Any recommendations would be appreciated - thanks

16. tarkett85

You can’t guarantee against everything sadly there’s a percentage of failure with all flooring, but saying that some manufacturers have a better response with issues, personally I’ve never had an issue with Westex as a company they’re my go to for a quality twist. Everything depends on your budget though a quality 80/20 twist will cost more than Cormar Primo Ultra but I see considerably lower instances of failure and any problems are sorted pretty quickly.

17. Samnic

Samnic New Member

Thanks that’s really helpful will check Westex out, never heard of them until now,

18. tarkett85

There are other manufacturers out there to check out too but you really need to know your budget some can get pretty expensive.

19. Samnic

Samnic New Member

Yes they are, I guess you get what you pay for, our last carpet lasted 10 years, wasn’t too expensive but miles better than what we replaced it with

20. tarkett85

Instead of putting up prices and keeping the quality they kept the prices and lowered the quality, I would say roughly double what you paid 10 years ago for similar quality.