Amtico floor failure - advice required

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by LancsLass, May 29, 2013.

1. Ampersand

Ampersand Member

Because it's a separate physical barrier as opposed to a bonded chemical barrier. Same as a screw is a mechanical fixing, and glue is chemical.

2. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

I always thought it was reffered to as a mechanical dpm as it is part of the structural part of the house and also to distinguish it between a flooring liquid dpm, that and it sounds mighty fancy when explaining to a customer what one is

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Ampersand

Ampersand Member

It's just a terminology thing, you know how the construction industry is. Trades call it one or more thing frequently depending on what area you're in, manufacturers another and building regs another. Personally I don't see the problem with calling it a DPM and liquid DPM.

I suppose as long as it's called something other than a sheet of plastic and a tin of paint it sounds better. :)

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Member

I agree, it's terminology. I'm just a bit of a technocrat and had not heard of it described that way previously. A flooring, surface applied membrane, actually uses a mechanical bond to hold on to a substrate, which is why you need to give the substrate a key - shot blasting, grinding or abrading but it's called a surface applied membrane. I was not sure if this is what the previous writer meant. Polythene/Visqueen is normally described as a structural membrane.

5. Ampersand

Ampersand Member

It's technical nit picking for sure, but the surface applied/liquid membrane are chemical bond not mechanical, the bonding and capillary action keep it in place. Polythene membranes aren't structural as they are held in place by the structure (concrete, mortar, screed insulation) but don't actually form part of the structure.

6. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Member

Thanks for that. It was previously explained to me that 2-component surface applied, liquid membranes were chemical cure and mechanically bonded, as was the Visqueen/Polythene scenario.

7. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah its is just terminology It's mechanical because it's part of the structure of the building ie British standards say it must be there

8. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

It's just the same as calling screws or nails mechanical fixings. It's physically solid as opposed to the chemical ie liquid adhesive or dpm.

9. trevor mathews

trevor mathews New Member

Have you had issues with this company?