amtico on chipboard

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by ak100, Mar 21, 2023.

1. ak100

ak100 New Member

Hi, I have approx 3sq mtr of amtico to lay onto a stable 20mm chipboard floor, I know the advise is to lay ply down but what would be the harm in going straight onto the chipboard? its brand new, stable and I dont want the bother of having to get ply and fit it if I don't really need to, I would of thought a good strong adhesive would keep it all stuck down? this is a diy project not professional, could anyone recommend a decent adhesive that comes in small enough tubs??

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Some do fit straight over after the joints are feathered but i always ply. Soon as that chipboard starts moving then you'll see the ridges.
    Just 4mm ply it if it's that flat.

3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Use a high temp adhesive
    Fball F48
    Uzin KE66

4. ak100

ak100 New Member

Many thanks, so the only reason ply is put down is because of movement?? If I’m confident that there will be no movement then it’s ok to lay directly onto the chipboard I guess

5. ak100

ak100 New Member

Many thanks, I’ll look into these adhesives; hopefully they will come in 1ltr tubs as I don’t need loads of it

6. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Not necessarily, some adhesives don't adhere to chipboard well unless you prime it but no matter how confident you are that it wouldn't move I'd suggest getting a 4mm plyboard for the sake of an extra £15 - £20

7. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

It will move. It’s chipboard.

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Very similar to weetabix

9. jonny73

jonny73 Member

You cannot put lvt on chipboard, you will get problems for sure.
    6mm ply to be safe, price difference to 4mm doesn't warrant the risk

10. Ryanf4888

Ryanf4888 Well-Known Member

It’s 3m2. You may think you’re saving a bit of money now. Wait until you have to rectify any issues…

11. Ryanf4888

Ryanf4888 Well-Known Member

Also, get a local floorlayer. They will have leftover adhesive that they’ll be able to use to save you buying any.

12. Adam Ribbz

Adam Ribbz Well-Known Member

I got told once, also…some chemicals in the chipboard could cause discolouration of the product and I have seen this first hand a few times during the 20something years doing it, but yeah chipboard always seems to move/swell on the joints.

13. Adam Ribbz

Adam Ribbz Well-Known Member

Just putting it out there…I’ve never fitted on top of chipboard but did 8years customer care fixing other muppets diy efforts