Amtico on top of Amtico

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by mark burch, Jun 13, 2020.

1. mark burch

mark burch Member

Hi there, I currently have Amtico Spacia down and I am looking to replace it with a different style/colour if Amtico spacia. Is it possible to lay it on top of the existing Amtico or do I need to take it up? If so, would a plywood floor be ok to then lay on top of?

I am a complete novice and have two fitters that are telling me slightly different opinions on it?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Take the old one up 100%
    If the existing ply is in a state then take that up aswell and put fresh ply down.
    If the old one isn't too bad then a fibre reinforced screed over it will sort it out.

Go on then....tell us what these 2 fitters have told you o_O

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You can go over with that self adhesive underlay. Won’t work if there’s sunlight tho. I think Uzin do adhesive matting you can use. The Amtico would have to be in perfect condition to do it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Always best to go back to subfloor and start again if you can tho.

5. mark burch

mark burch Member

One of them said he can just lay the new amtico on top of whats down, that was preferred for time and money but having read different things I see it may bring up issues going forward...the other has said that we have to take the amtico up and then just lay on top if the floor boards that are already down, I am thinking now just to take it up and just out new plywood down?!?

6. mark burch

mark burch Member

Thanks for the reply’s

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They both sounds like bodgers lol.

8. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

All existing flooring should be removed before laying new floor coverings

But if height issues aren't a problem and the current floor is sound and solid With it being on ply you could over lay with new ply flooring grade plywood then fit the new floor But definitely dont lay New Amtico directly on Amtico as you'll get plasticiser migration and the new floor will discolour overtime.

I'd still prefer to up lift just to check there isnt any underlining issues with the current floor that could potentially cause issues in the future

9. mark burch

mark burch Member

10. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Use Softlay 21 or fleece but ensure the original amtico is feathered over where the bevels are, as both options have no pvc it’s impossible to get any plasticise migration from one floor to the next.