Amtico visible plywood joint lines

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by scsmyth, Oct 24, 2022.

1. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

No floor hasn't been exposed to any water at all since its been down.

2. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

The subfloor was reasonably flat and level. 22mm chipboard and all joins were pretty flat.

One point I have noted is that the fitter lifted one tile about 6 weeks ago to inspect underneath. A new tile was fitted in it's place and the line hasn't reappeared yet on the new tile. Line still obvious on tiles either side of new tile. Perhaps this is significant - it seems to take a bit of time for it to show through the tiles.

3. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

Thanks for the advice. I have been all round the crawl space previous to floor going in re-plumbing radiators and all air bricks are clear. I could get back under there again by lifting the carpet in the hall to check things again. I could test the humidity and moisture level underneath the subfloor using one of those moisture meters for wood etc? However I've no reason to suspect high moisture levels but if it is a possible casue then will need to look at it.

I'm still waiting for the floor company to respond. I hoped they would have been coming up with checks to pinpoint the issue and address it from there. In the mean time I'm grateful for all the advice from the forum members.

4. merit

merit Well-Known Member

A pin meter in the wood subfloor and joists is the best way to tell. Was the 22mm chipboard a new subfloor or old existing?

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I would bet money of the subfloor having a high moisture reading. Get a good quality pin meter in the subfloor below the ply.

6. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

So who would be at fault? Out of Intrest? We never test wooden subfloors unless obvious, maybe we’ve just been lucky, but too many things can cause timber to take in moisture.

7. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

My understanding is you would be at fault. Unless you have readings to say it was ok at time of install you have no way to prove you didn’t install a floor when you shouldn’t have.

8. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

22mm chipboard was existing original floor.

I'll try get into the crawl space next week for a look. I've a stanley pin meter so will try that in the joists and floorboards from below.

I will need to chase up the floor company - I expect them to look into it themselves to be honest.

Another point of note is there were different Amtico Form tiles laid in utility and toilet and Amtico signature in bathrooms and there is no sign of ply lines in these rooms. Can only be seen in the Kitchen/Living room and hallway that has the oak style tiles.

9. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Is the oak style spacia?

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

yeah I agree. Some LVt floors are too sensitive in my opinion. It’s Interesting the signature and form is ok. We put down loads of quickstep balance and pulse lvt and nothing shows through that. Also boulavard from solent hides a lot. Spacia tho is shocking for it and some karndean.
    Has anyone ever fitted rubber flooring from colour flooring? If you don’t roll the a2 adhesive it shows through badly. But loads of other vinyl sheet doesn’t do that. Maybe be worth taking it up with Amtico. See what the subfloors reading first.
    At the end of the day all timber floors move. If you then cover it with ply and lvt fitted net against everything surely there a risk of problems with expansion.

11. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

The oak style is Form also - longer and wider tiles however.

12. mrcarpet

mrcarpet New Member

thanks for your information

13. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

Thanks again for all your advice. A bit of an update:

I got into the crawl space under the floor and checked the moisture level underneath side of 22mm chipboard floor and levels checked in different areas were between 10 and 12%. Joists were about 12% at the top and 15% at the bottom. These readings seem OK for a subfloor?

Flooring company rep attended the house and agreed it is not right. I am still waiting to hear back from them with regard to what happens next.

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Maybe the ply was fitted too tight or the subfloor has expanded. Anything could of made it move as it’s all timber. Has the ply line expanded? Did you take a reading of the plywood too?

15. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Was it sp101. Did you see that stamp?

16. merit

merit Well-Known Member

They’ve used sp101. Still swells with moisture. Dodgey feather finish maybe?

17. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Well apparently o_O

18. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

I didn't manage to take a reading on the ply itself - would need to lift a tile so probably best leave that to the fitter. I have had contact from the installers recently and they agree that it isn't right. They are are very busy so it won't be until next year they will attend again and work out what to do. I would imagine they will take readings then.

I would hope they will get a good idea when a few tiles have been lifted. Should be able to see whether the ply has swollen at the edges or feather finish too high etc then?

Cheers

19. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

Yes definitely SP101

20. scsmyth

scsmyth Member

When you mention ply could be fitted to tight would you normally leave a gap?