Anhydrite

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by RMG, Jul 12, 2018.

1. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

They have their uses but I prefer slower setting screeds for 90% of jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more. I have to say that in the end, the system that has been provided for us on this job (all bostik products) has worked out alright. It goes against all of the advice out there but we got 85m2 screeded and about 30m2 fitted and home for about 4.30pm. Just i wouldn't be happy with the end result if i were doing it for a paying customer in their home.

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Just a shame that the subfloor will turn to mush :rolleyes:

4. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

lol i actually hope so, after i get paid :p

5. merit

merit Well-Known Member

All too fast for my liking. How come builders take ages to do everything and we have to have the floor done yesterday

6. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

because floor fitting isn't a proper trade is it. We're just DIY'ers essentially

7. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

No pressure at the start of the job, then at the end, the pressure is all on finishing trades. Now more than ever........
    The beauty of a proper program, when written up correctly, the delays can be distinguished, and counter charges accountable.

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Much prefer working to a actual schedule. Then if every other so called skilled trade leaves all their crap laying around it means we won’t get finished as we spent half a day clearing up. They soon start to clear up the sites or it has a knock on effect.

9. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

My brother (in the photos) is dealing with the builders and if it wasn't for him i wouldn't be working there. Price got dropped once we agreed to do the job... and now it's all pressure to get these show flats done. I'm not young and naive anymore and it pisses me off how we're getting pressured to work like lunatics and at the weekend for not much money. Only reason to do this shite is because my bro wants the other 30 odd flats and we won't have to do any grinding of the laitence on those ones. I've seen the rates and they're not bad so it's a fair bit of work to keep him/us busy.

10. Spacey

Greed over professionalism :(

11. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

It's not greed, it's not great pay... just got to pay the bills init

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I get what your saying. Take the hit on the first one and get a good amount of work from it. Hopefully they don’t keep doing it on each one. Always a new excuse or trick. I’ve found mostly that the ones that fuck you around at the start generally keep doing it.

13. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

The problem is i'm nothing special at the moment. I know how to do a good job but i'm not in a position to be able to demand the right pay. That's the game

14. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

yeah and they only speak one underlying language, money and will you bend over for them and take less.

15. Spacey

If alarms bell ring from the set off I’m away good money or not
    It’s my way or the highway

16. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Just try and stick with the good ones. Defo takes some time. I’ve done it for years. Still have one or two that I keep saying yes and taking on their jobs and it’s always a mess around

17. Spacey

The ones who mess you around from the start tend to be the ones who mess you about when it comes to getting paid to

18. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

If you do that now, your in for some serious sht in the future.
    Yes, you will have to bend, but not bend over and take it !!!
    You have to stand your ground, up to a point, so mark your point and stand at it.
    Doing a sh*t job, for sh*t money ,only give you a sh*t name, but I do understand the pressure the builders put on you.
    If there decent they will respect you more, if you stand your ground, and tell them how it is.
    If you don`t, your there bitch for time......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

well it's up to my bro. I've got work coming in from other places for myself. I don't fully understand how this work has come about but obviously i hope they don't screw us over, more so my bro if he's going to do the whole lot. Atleast they're supplying the materials

20. RMG

RMG Well-Known Member

i wonder how we'd prove we did all the work in a court