Bamboo flooring in old house

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Lola, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Lola

Lola New Member

I'd welcome some advice about stranded bamboo flooring. My house was built around 1850 just before the damp proof legislation came into force, and the method of building was on "corner pads" rather than foundations. So without a damp proof course I suppose that there must be damp in the walls, though there is no evidence of any damp. The subfloor is old (I think original to the house) quarry tiles, quite uneven in places, currently carpeted, and when the carpet was last changed there was no evidence of damp on the floor. The room is around 8 metres by 4 metres. I would really like to have a bamboo floor but have always been wary because of these conditions and the upheaval I imagine it causing. Can anyone give an idea of what such a project is likely to entail? Or if it is likely even to be feasable? Thanks, Lola.

2. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

If your house is 1850 and you want bamboo then you will need to have your subfloor ripped up rescreeded and a whole lot of prep for it to go down and stay down unfourtunately

3. Roscopeako

Roscopeako New Member

Steer clear of bamboo flooring ,even with perfect sub floors u will get problems .quickstep flooring I advise

4. Mary

Mary New Member

Laminate flooriing is absolutely not for me. What problems have you had with bamboo Roscopeako?

5. Roscopeako

Roscopeako New Member

Most top wood flooring fitters will not touch it due to problems with creaking and joint problems

6. Roscopeako

Roscopeako New Member

7. Roscopeako

Roscopeako New Member

Maybe engineered wood floor check out Kahrs

8. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

I don’t know what the hell you’re talking about, you bond it directly to the floor you don’t float it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk