Bitumen from woolen carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by admin1, Dec 9, 2010.

1. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

What's the best way to remove bitumen (residue on hammer, hammer used to remove carpet gripper) from brand new woolen carpet?

2. tedmaced

tedmaced Well-Known Member

I would ask a reputable carpet cleaner to deal with it to be honest, i had a problem once,i cant remember exactly what was on the carpet but he removed it .

3. bladerunner

bladerunner Well-Known Member

Depends what EWE call a reputable carpet cleaner Ted.I would call a good carpet cleaner a vax and i used to own one.If i still had it i wouldnt call it because it seved me well,that would be "two faced".

4. tedmaced

Theiy are all TARRED with the same brush

5. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

white spirit will clean tools up.

For the carpet you need Paint/Oil/Grease remover (P.O.G) designed for wool carpets. Any proper carpet cleaner should have this or you can order the stuff from here - http://www.victorfloorcare.com/

They are based in birmingham, not sure if they do mail order.

6. bladerunner

The best way to get rid of bitchymen................

7. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

Cheers Matt

8. cayrugs

cayrugs New Member

I’ve tried the Paint/Oil/Grease remover it is really effective for removing bitumen from carpet. Carpet cleaners can provide it to clean your carpet. You can at least check the service they do to make sure that the chemical is cleaned up.

9. Sharon Leon

Sharon Leon Member

Just for peoples info.

There is a product that is used to clean brake dust from car brake discs and shoes. Available in Halfords in an aerosol. Its brilliant for taking oil marks from carpets. You litterally see it disappear from the carpet infront of your eyes. The spray just pushes it off the fibres.

Allways test an area first to check there is no reaction.

10. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

In the end we used White Spirit (on advice from the local Carpet's Direct guy - who didn't stock POG cleaner). Within 2 minutes the stain was gone.

11. tedmaced

you have to be careful using white spirit. For instance if the carpet has secondary back , white spirit can cause delamination

12. bladerunner

The aerosol is a liquid and dries like dust its called "ODOR EATERS",i remember seeing it for sale in United cpts.

13. admin1

admin1 Well-Known Member

Appreciated, that's what the Carpet Direct's guy said too. We use it on a cloth and then used this to carefully dab the stain. Did the trick.