Brewery floor refurb - Help!

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Kit, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Kit

Kit Member

Hello,

A quick bit of advice needed please:

We are setting up a brewery South Wales and have taken the space over from an existing brewery - their floor was terrible and had low spots and water pooling, which was bad from a food hygiene perspective. The paint was also flaking up so we decided to start from scratch. The area is 9x9m (81sqm) and there is a drain channel 3m away from the wall which we want to squeegee water into.

We wanted to level the floor and apply an epoxy resin cover and new drains.

We hired a scrabbler and took the top layer of paint off, swept and hoovered and applied a primer in a 1/3 ratio for the self leveler
    Primer: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-primer-g-5kg/5309p?_requestid=611890

This dried and then we applied this self-leveling compound: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-ultraplan-3240-self-levelling-compound-25kg/4959f

I then called up the supplier of the epoxy resin and they called the manufacturer of the self-leveling compound. They were told the leveling compound we had used was only suitable for laying tiles onto, not painting or epoxying as it is not strong enough.

We need to use this Expoxy floor so have no choice other than ripping up the new self-leveling we just laid.

I called up another Epoxy retailer and they said it would be fine to use their stuff with a penetrating primer which will soak into the self-leveling and bind it together. This is the package they suggested: https://www.resincoat.co.uk/en/high-build-epoxy/424-triple-garage-floor-paint-bundle.html

Can anyone tell me if this will work or is there going to be a problem with not using the correct self-leveling compound? What are the potential problems?

What would you do?

Thanks

2. Kit

Kit Member

Here are the pictures of the self leveling just after laying.

Attached Files:

3. Kit

Kit Member

Here is the floor 5 days after laying the self leveling

Attached Files:

4. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Renovation isn’t a wearcoat, before you do anything get a moisture test done without that info we really can’t give any proper advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

The floor looks soaking The Renovation will fail Also not suitable for what you want

6. Kit

Kit Member

Hey, would you like to know if moisture soaks in to the self leveling or to see if it is dry?

7. Kit

Kit Member

The floor will be wet which is why we want to use an epoxy top coat, the self leveling will be protected from the moisture by the expoxy. What would be the next steps to make it work?

8. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

The smoothing compound you've used isnt moisture tolerant Hense it will fail so Next step is to remove it

9. tarkett85

Remove the screed, do a proper moisture test depending on the results you will have completely different ways to proceed.

10. Kit

Kit Member

My thought was that this screed will never get wet, we are going to lay epoxy resin ontop of it. So it would not matter that this screed is not suitable for getting wet. Is that not the case?

11. tarkett85

It will be absorbing the moisture from beneath it which will lead to it failing if the moisture levels are too high.

12. Kit

Kit Member

According to Mapei, this self leveling is designed for tiles or vinyl flooring. Would there be any issue with laying large floor tiles instead of the epoxy resin?

13. tarkett85

Yes your screed is going to pop if the moisture levels below it are too high, you absolutely need to do a Rh% test before anyone can advise you further. The answer to that will dictate the primers you need and the surface dpm that may be required a test takes minimum of 72hours to take.

14. d'Arcy

d'Arcy Well-Known Member

I know why you want the resin floor - as an ex-brewer, up until 5 years ago, I can attest for how damn good it is. But please, please, please listen to the lads above. Make sure everything is right before moving forward.

Anything goes wrong with the floor, you can then have issues, with the sitting of stuff like your temp probes and seals and pipework. No one wnats to get covered in neon hot wort...

15. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Do you have any pictures of the floor, before you applied latex ?
    I would bet its a powerfloat floor, and also that its piss wet through.
    As others have said above, its pretty much doomed to fail as soon as its covered.
    Very likely needs removing, maybe blasting, dpm, water mix screed. But, that is a guess, and you do need to carry out the proper tests before you proceed.
    How many bags did you use over 80 sq m ?

16. chris1973

chris1973 Member

Needs scabbling again

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

17. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Yes....because you have laid a non moisture tolerant screed on what is possibly a damp floor. It will eventually fail no matter what you put on it.

You want to take that chance?? Think about the costs several months later when you have to remove everything sitting on that floor and then remove the screed!

Would you use a bed of sand as your foundation to build a house on?