Can LVT be laid on cement board

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Nick Henderson, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Nick Henderson

Nick Henderson Member

Hi,
    I’m about the lay LVT up my stairs and on the landing. The upstairs landing floorboards are not too bad but not level enough for glue down LVT planks.
    I thought about lining the floor first with ply but don’t want to have a step into every room. I thought about tile backing board. Has anyone done this or can suggest a better method?
    thank you.

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Backer board/cement board will still be 6mm just like the ply board.

If you having LVT on the landing and carpets in the rooms then you won't have a step into every room because you'll just use a z-bar type threshold- your underlay and carpet tuck nicely into the bar and you can carefully flattern the lvt side of the threshold strip if need be.

3. Simon Grimley

Simon Grimley Well-Known Member

As Rugmunching said but I’d use Stairrods Ali Z so the bars match the LVT.

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Good bars they are hey, I've been using them for a while now. Look so much better than the standard

5. Simon Grimley

Used them the first time last week. Amazing!

6. Nick Henderson

Nick Henderson Member

Great thank you. I’ll look them up now. Do you recommend any good stair nosings? I’m using a Karndean wood effect flooring. Iv looked for matching but they don’t do them. Other companies do more of a safety non slip type which may not fit in with decor as well. Cheers.

7. Simon Grimley

Again Stairrods UK. They do insert ones so you add the LVT to match.