Carpet fitting technique

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by JB Flooring, Jan 10, 2019.

1. JB Flooring

JB Flooring Well-Known Member

alright lads,
    Just a quick one, what method of cutting do you use to fit carpets for example hook blade, straight blade or use a carpet trimmer. I have always fit with a straight blade just what I’ve been taught and my personal preference, I have seen a lot of fitters up here use hook blades so just thought I’d post a message and see what use guys do.
    Cheers for any advice.

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I use straight and a conc, have used hook before especially on real thick saxonys....that's if I'm out of straights, can't be bothered to go back to my bag and have spare hooks in whichever knife.

Some will frown if you use anything other than a straight and start preaching the carpet bible but do I care :)...

3. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

You cut the walls in with a straight blade ?
    Is that using the back cutting method ?

4. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

I use hooks,almost never touch a skirting,if ive got skirtings that more delicate/expensive ill back cut. I back cut all private jobs and hook in site work mostly.

5. burdman

burdman Well-Known Member

Hooks, but if back cutting then straight

6. JB Flooring

JB Flooring Well-Known Member

Or well sounds like most use the same way, iv alway’s used straights for everything. On top end carpets I cut from the back but if it’s more basic and cheaper carpets I still fit with a straight but I cut from the front and keep tension on the carpet that I’ve trimmed and run along with the blade, hard to explain.

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Hook it and side cut with a straight and cut through the back with straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

Mainly hook although I have been known to backcut with a straight.
    Tend not to remodel the skirtings like some of these cowboys do....

9. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Super hooks. Straight blades to cut of the last few mm on the corners if needed.

10. Phil_Cee

Phil_Cee Well-Known Member

Straight blades for me as well ......I remember using hooks when i was an apprentice and was forever marking the skirting boards (and getting a clip for it lol) so have stuck to straights since :)

11. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

I have always used a straight heavy duty blade, and after ascertaining in advance how much stretch the carpet needs and therefore knowing where to cut, made the incision from the pile toward the skirting. However I cut the pile and secondary backing only and not the primary backing which is then cut either from the back or front, then the carpet stretched, pin engaged, and tucked to perfection. There is never any damage to skirting boards using this methodology.

12. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Could always use one of these :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Sweet, you can then tuck it with it too

14. Spacey

Jesus :eek:

15. Spacey

Yes and it tucks quicker on the higher speed setting :D

16. Spacey

Do none of you guys actually do Stretch, hook on, cut and tuck or is it all cut ( hope for the best) stretch and tuck with a Stair tool ?

I know it's a pain with some carpets but I was always brought up on stretching and hooking the whole room on the grips then cutting in with a trimmer with a hooked blade then tucking with a tucking knife and awl.
    Only ever used a straight blade for cutting down waste and back cutting into tight spots and into door trims

17. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Thats how I taught my boys. Stretch onto the gripper, then trim and tuck.
    Have always used an eye witness knife to tuck, not a bolster, unless the carpet is like hardboard.
    I did try my lads with a trimmer, but they prefer a straight and super hook combo

18. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

i stretch the entire room first (cant always do it with some rooms) then hook blade and tuck a wall at a time, cant get the hang of the wall trimmers and they mark new build matt skirtings anyway. I use a taylor eye witness to tuck arcs and corners,not ones you see in store though the ones i order arent even in their catalogues lol. Ive always wondered how those curved carpet awls work? i cant think of a time ive ever needed one,but then i dont know how to use it :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. merit

merit Well-Known Member

We only use plastic bolsters to tuck and eye witness for arcs and corners

20. Phil_Cee

Phil_Cee Well-Known Member

When i served my apprenticeship, it was incorporated wit Upholstery as ll. I set off fitting as i would a chair seat, fit & bolster in each corner ... then one wall at a time opposites fit & bolster. No 'fulness's I've sometimes seen some fitters leave because all the stretching has been done into the corners.

So easy & quick.