Carpet roll bent in middle

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Andrew Stirling, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

I’ve just taken delivery of a roll of carpet which is 5m by 4m. Because of the difficulty negotiating in the front door I thought it would be better to take it in the window. The delivery guy was obviously in a rush and started pushing it through from the outside before I could get in to receive it. When I got in the house. Half the carpet roll was wedged outside and the other half was bent over the window into the house. Probably at a 90 degree angle.

The roll essentially seems creased in the middle. I can’t unroll the carpet at the moment to examine it but I’ve got it laid out flat. Do you think any damage will have been done or will the fitter be able to stretch out the creases?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

What carpet is it.

3. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

Cormar Home Counties Heather 50oz. It’s hessian backed. I’ve unrolled a bit of the roll and the carpet feels creased but it seems to lessen the further into the roll I go. I should have about 70cm of wastage along that length so maybe the worst of it will be cut off.

4. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

[​IMG]

Here’s a photo of the creases

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I’d say it will be ok. Does your fitter have a power stretcher? That would get them out.

6. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Just got the samples in of that. Looks decent Gear.

7. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

I’m not sure. I’ll ask him.

8. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure that will be fine. I doubt a carpet fitter would have gone to the trouble of taking a window out, well most of them anyway.
    Its better for the carpet to re-roll, and remove the pole before bending it, but that will be ok

9. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

Luckily I can open my window fully and it was big enough to get it in. Thanks for putting my mind at rest though. I’ve got some painting to do before I can get it laid so it’ll be lying around for a week or so before I get to see how it goes.

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It will be fine. That’s what a stretcher is for. If it doesn’t stretch out you could stick it down

11. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

Do you just mean the knee thing? I’m not sure he has one of the really expensive stretchers.

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I doubt he has a power stretcher too. That carpet is barely creased. I’ve seen a lot worse when we’ve had to get 5m carpets up 3 flights of stairs!

13. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

That’ll be fine, should stretch out pretty easily it is recommended to power stretch any carpet over a 5 x 4 though.

14. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

Good to hear. Hopefully it’ll be ok without power stretching. It’s more a 4.3m x 3.7 than a 5x4...I just rounded up when ordering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

15. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You are over thinking things, you are worrying about nothing

16. Andrew Stirling

Andrew Stirling Member

Haha. My carpet fitter just said not to worry and that he’d fix it. Will leave it at that I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

17. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Yeah you’ll be fine don’t worry

18. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Double bank the gripper on the length of the room if no power stretcher, will get it nice and taut that way

19. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Just tell your carpet fitter not to go to too mad kicking the carpet out, you dont want your foundations disturbing :D

Ive seen some fitters knee the crap out of their kicker like it slept with their wife or something o_O You can feel the house rocking ha!!!

20. Busylay

Busylay Well-Known Member

?? Why do people do that , find the carpet they like at a reasonable price online saving them a few quid then ... order too much ??