Carpet / underlay advice please

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by bells, May 16, 2023.

1. bells

bells New Member

Hoping I can get some advice I’m currently looking at getting 2 bedrooms and the stairs / landing redone in my property (only about 35sqm). Moved in last year and the property is 10 years old with original carpets and underlay that seems to have disintegrated in places! Main requirements are pleasant and soft carpet to walk on, that will continue to look nice for years to come.

First off I went to a local carpet shop who had so much choice I didn’t know where to start if I’m honest but I had seen online that Abingdon carpets were decent so looked at a few from the Aristocat / Sophisticat ranges (around £30sqm) and was drawn to the thicker pile and lovely feel. Also looked at the Invictus Septimus range (around £27.99sqm) which was very nice too, loved the Severus but thought it was a bit too expensive and was a very thick pile which I don’t think would wear well. The shop also said I should consider Seaton Valley by Everyroom which has a thick pile too and is seems decent quality (around £23sqm). The shop also recommended Cloud9 9mm underlay as they said if I went any higher with a thick pile carpet it may prove an issue with existing gripper bars? Is that correct, initially I had in my mind 11/12mm underlay?

Second I had a local independent come out who measured up and gave me a few samples to pick from one of which was Apollo Comfort by Cormar, again a nice feel and a bit cheaper at £20.99sqm. He did say I could go with 12mm underlay with 9mm on the stairs but didn’t mention which brand or any potential issues with the grippers. However, I’ve read some bad reviews about Cormar online.

I was originally planning to use the same carpet in the bedrooms and stairs / landing to save a bit of money but I’m slightly worried that if I get a higher pile carpet for comfort in the bedrooms it’ll wear down in the high traffic areas. Can anyone suggest any ranges and manufactures that are best for comfort and wear? Apologies for the essay but just trying to figure out what’s best to do!

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I would have 11 or 12mm anywhere.
    Most I go is cloud 9 conn 10 but my go to is jade 9mm

3. Ryanf4888

Ryanf4888 Well-Known Member

Most standard grippers 11/12mm underlay would sit higher than the gripper. There is a brand that makes thicker gripper out there to accommodate the use of thicker underlay. Any thick soft carpets won’t last long unfortunately. Majority of them flatten quite quickly

4. Ryanf4888

What I’m meaning is you will notice wear in them quicker than you may expect.

5. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Correcting my own mistake :confused:
    I meant I wouldn't have 11 or 12mm

6. bells

bells New Member

Thanks for the replies, think I’ll opt for the 9mm underlay in that case which will probably save me a little money anyway. Are the carpets I’m looking at decent quality or are there any others you’d suggest / recommend? I’m looking at beige / grey tones which most manufacturers do in every range so I’m spoilt for choice! Maybe I’ll look at a tighter pile carpet on the stairs / landing and then something a bit softer in the bedrooms as a bit of a compromise.

7. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

Theyre of decent quality, but as said its hard to find a soft carpet that lasts because its the reason it doesnt. If you can find anything with smart strand in it (made by lano), ive personally fit thay and its as new 5 years later.

8. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Stick with the first guy. I agree with what he’s suggested

9. Ryanf4888

Nothing wrong with a decent 9mm underlay throughout. An 80/20 twist on the stairs would be better for durability.