ceramics

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by carpetguy, Feb 21, 2018.

1. carpetguy

carpetguy Member

Hi guys,
    went to look at a floor today that had ceramics laid about 4 years ago by a builder. Half the floor is the original house and half is an extension, both concrete slabs, so I am told. Almost all the tiles are uneven, creating ridges on most tiles. Most of the floor sounds solid but on about 3 of the tiles they sound hollow. Any ides why? Is it poor fitting or do you think it could be an underlying issue? Customer is asking if we can screed over it. I would be inclined to get it up and start from scratch. Any thoughts would be appreciated
    Thanks

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Take out the hollow ones and repair or to be absolutely sure take them all up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

If had similar in the past. Most were fully bonded but they had repairs/replacements over the year and them ones were dot and dabbed so could possibly be that and as to why they sound hollow.

Like merit said, take the hollow ones up and patch then a nice coat of screed over the lot.

4. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

*I've had

5. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Personally I’d lift the lot, you never know if the rest of them will start failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. carpetguy

carpetguy Member

Thank you chaps.