Cutting vinyl around

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Gaz16, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Gaz16

Gaz16 New Member

Hi all

I'm a late starter at carpet/vinyl fitting after going on a course last year and only been doing it for friends and family since March at the moment until I speed up so i'm not clued up with the technical terms used.

I can cut thin vinyl perfectly around the toilet/sink using a ''shark teeth'' method (cutting the vinyl so there are teeth shapes all around the base of the sink/toilet then cutting the teeth shapes off with a hook blade. Hope that makes sense) but I really struggle with thick vinyl using the same technique.

I'm just wondering if the thick vinyl can actually be cut this way or not?

Thanks in advance

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Felt paper template

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Practice makes perfect (in some cases) you'll pick it up eventually

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Just do LVT instead

5. Gaz16

Gaz16 New Member

Ill give the felt paper a go and I never new LVT existed so i'll look into that.

Thanks for the advice

6. burdman

burdman Well-Known Member

Get good at paper templating.. you’ll use it for other things also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Robroy

Robroy Well-Known Member

Very thick vinyl is a bit more tricky, you just need to cut it a bit higher on the first cut then it will drop down then trim it again if you use the same technique as you do on a thin vinyl you will more and likely cut it short.
    But as rugmunching said its practise, I,have had 36 years of practise :)

8. Floorever

Floorever Well-Known Member

Template for me

9. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

I template everything even cove used to be gasher but now I look back and think what was I playing at not vinyl up wall no stress takes long but far better job

10. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

I direct scribe aswell

11. Phil_Cee

Phil_Cee Well-Known Member

I only ever template vinyl, safety floor & Marmoleum tbh, cushionfloor I always freehand. The thicker stuff can be tricky, I always put a trowel width of F44 around the pot etc, then notch around the pot.

12. Phil_Cee

Phil_Cee Well-Known Member

Thats how I was taught to do cap&cove, paper template ... never freehanded, tho I have when I've had to due to space at times.

13. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

When was a fit domestic fitter i cut in but if it’s thick I still template I think getting training is the best and most profitable thing ya ca do I could have saved my sen years

14. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

Cap and cove safetyfloor templated? Don't you have situations where it slides and moves when you pull half of it back to apply the first half of adhesive?

15. Robroy

Robroy Well-Known Member

I don't know any fitters who template domestic vinyl

16. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I’ve not templated a cap an Cove since about 95. We do 3 a week and never time or space to template. It’s drop in, cut down, glue half and the. Glue other half then trim in.

17. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I some times template a full bathroom in LVT find it quicker and easier in a pokey one boxer bathroom

18. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Great idea spacey

19. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

As for the template moving with cove I take care to keep it on check marks also sometimes if it difficult to pull back I will touch I cove on the wall in a couple of spots but only gently cause ya will need to pull it back off to glue the other side