Domestic carpeting advice

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by ukflyboy, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ukflyboy

ukflyboy New Member

Hi All,

Just in the process of renovating my house and am after some carpeting advice. We will shortly be recarpeting the new (to us) house which will be stairs, landing and bedrooms (downstairs is all wood which is in pretty good condition fortunately). While we had started our carpet search at Tapi, reading the forum here has convinced me that a local independent is the way ahead, but just wanted to get some of your thoughts before committing to anything.

Although we were initially after a single carpet that would do great up busy stairs and still provide the comfort the missus wants in the bedroom, but now coming to the realisation that it might not be a worthwhile compromise. Having looked at a bunch of carpets, we are now considering getting something relatively resilient like Victoria Tudor Twist for stairs and landings and then getting something softer like their Shimmer or First Impressions for the bedrooms. What are your thoughts - are they reasonable carpets for those purposes? Is there any "master of all trades" carpet? What are some other good, comfortable carpets that we will get a descent run of use from that we should be considering also?

Underlay wise, Cloud 9 Cirrus, connosieur, charlestone or caviar all look good, so will probably do with one of those if they aren't ridiculously expensive compared to other brands.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

All sounds good to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Sounds like some decent research, just make sure to check out the independent for reviews or ask to see their work and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Carty Lidge

Carty Lidge Well-Known Member

Go for an independent they have the support of reps and are clued up!
    And usually have better product knowledge as a result and on the whole won't charge you £2.25 for a stick of ten pencil carpet gripper or 25 pounds to deliver your carpet that doesn't even go to the fitter delivering the goods lol!

5. ukflyboy

ukflyboy New Member

Thanks all, we'll definitely go down the independent route then. I've already been to chat with one of the local guys and he seemed an honest, genuine and very knowledgeable guy. As far actual carpet selection goes, will I get anything better for my money than the Victoria Carpets we are looking at (Tudor Twist and First Impressions/Shimmer)?

6. Sivsaints

Sivsaints Active Member

Dimensions Heathers brockway is on par with Tudor Twist, Gemini cormar good for comfort Bedrooms made with new the dura poly which is supposed to last x5 longer than other poly props so won’t flatten so quick. Where are you based ?

7. ukflyboy

ukflyboy New Member

Brilliant, thanks for the extra info. We aren't massively fond of the flecked carpets, so the Dimensions Heathers Brockway probably isn't for us (though appreciate that the fleck probably makes it look better for longer) but the Gemini Cormar certainly looks promising, though not familiar with dura poly so will have to do a bit of reading up; normal polyester seemed to get slammed in much of the stuff I have read!

Americans seem to be all about nylon carpet but don't see much of that over here; and good recommendations for good, not too expensive polyamide carpets?

8. Sivsaints

Sivsaints Active Member

They also do Dimensions plains

9. ukflyboy

ukflyboy New Member

Thanks kindly, just ordered some Dimensions Plains samples.