Double sided tape

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Glenn H, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Ok guys, I REALLY would appreciate everybody's opinions/thoughts on this....

Have you ever used it?
    What tape do you use?
    What do you use it for?
    How often do you use it?
    What's been your experiences, good or bad?
    Do you buy it personally or is it supplied?

From my own experience I've used several, from the cheap, to the more pricey ones on the market. Balls impact tape, siga tape, jansers jantac and bostiks seem to be the main ones.

Areas where we have used it would mainly be on Pvc skirtings and Diminishing strips. We have also been specified to use it from main contractors on the cove former & capping.

Only had the cheap types fail and find they are not fit for purpose. I've known it to be used for nosings and stringers etc but never used it for this. We buy the tape usually from distributors and always tend to purchase a few rolls to keep stocked up.

Short or lengthy responses greatly received and appreciated, I'm toying with the idea of something and the feedback from the members on here would an invaluable insight.

Thanks

2. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

We use it a lot now. I wasn`t convinced to start with but we also use it on dim strip & skirts.

Normally us the Janser one, but have used others and they all have seemed pretty good.

We have used it on a C&C job and it worked really well, and the boys said it was quicker than using f61.

I have seen it used on rubber nosings and fail.

I think the days of solvents are numbered......

3. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I used to use this alot when doing the commercial stuff but being more domestic now I dont touch the stuff.

Used to use it mainly for coving and dim strips.

There were a few types I used but cant remember the name of the best one, all I remember is was the protective cover was a bright yellow, most of them were envelope brown but they were crap. Times we had to go back to redo dim strips around manhole covers etc but once we changed over to the other stuff it really was a massive improvement. Normally we would use F60 when we could but sometimes it was not possible.

Still know fitters that use it for full cap n cove.
    Inface I had to rip out a wet room before xmas and that was all stuck with double sided and what a mess that made, pulling plaster chunks off the wall. An old anal fitter I used to work on the hospitals with used to run a heat gun over his as he swore it made it even stronger o_O

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

I use it to hold paper templates on tiles
    That's about it Any will do

5. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I use jantac for pvc skirts ,also to hold down mdf skirts which i use as a straight edge to ensure the first row of wood parquet stays perfectly straight, plus holding down wood parquet template (same thing you would use on lvt only made out of wood blocks)and some cheaper stuff for sticking on the guillotine. I never use it on flooring

6. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

I think it takes longer and the walls have to be perfect make sure your rub it on well you can get it cheap on eBay double tape the cap that helps abit

7. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

Buy it all the time, use it to stick single doorbars down to karndean/vinyl, stops the clicky noise you can get, instantly sticks so its great for doing mitred bars along kitchens, good ontop of powerfloat or hard concrete so you dont risk hitting the bar when pinning.also use it on the lip of a z bar to keep it stuck to wood/tiles.plus its faster,the apprentice can do it without clanging all the doorbars with a hammer

Have had to remove them a year or so later now and then and theyre stuck solid.

8. Tomhood

Tomhood Member

Which one/where do you get it from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

Jantac tape eBay about £20 a roll and 10 for smaller

10. stan1191

stan1191 Well-Known Member

11. merit

merit Well-Known Member

The contact tapes are good and most the material stuff. Anything’s better than using spray and solvent adhesives

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Glenn H

Cmon guys, i need more input from other members on here. Have a rant... get it off your chest ;)

13. Redfox

Redfox Well-Known Member

F60 f61 always works if I’m not doing cap and cove I can get glue withdrawals only downside

14. Glenn H

More input needed please guys.

15. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Glenn's going to be making contact taped LVT whilst in self isolation....I got your number matey :D

16. Glenn H

Not quite rugmunching, not a bad idea tho.

17. Glenn H

Anymore guys wanting to add their 2cents??

18. Samson

Samson Well-Known Member

Uzin U tape for cap and cove, dim strips, sit on skirting etc.

It is 'double sided' but is technologically superior to any double sided tape that I have ever used. It is a true flooring grade contact tape.

I usually spray adhesive surfaces before applying it.

Available from Carpet and Flooring distributors. It is quite expensive though.

19. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Following this as hardly use any. Just the Altro expresslay one. Got some Bostik tape in my shop which I will be testing on LVT on the wall in the next week.

Want to start using it on cap and cove but when I tried the Uzin one last year it didn’t work well. Walls weren’t great as always so f60 works better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. Glenn H

Watch this space dazlight...