Dpm isolated area

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by merit, Feb 17, 2018.

1. merit

merit Well-Known Member

We have a issue on a job that has got me baffled so thought I would ask you guys if you had any ideas. 400 m2 room. Was dry, smoothed with water based compound and then Polyflor vinyl installed. 10 months down the line we have a area around 6m x 2m that is giving high moisture readings and has bubbled the vinyl. Rest of the area is reading dry and has no bubbles. I’m thinking take up the cracked levelling compound put down a dpm and re screed and fit. Question is will it just creep past the dpm and spread into the unaffected areas? Is there a way to isolate the affected area from the rest of the floor? Worst case scenario I’m thinking re screed with NA or similar and put down something like supercord instead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

It’s possible it could spread through the rest of the slab if you only DPM that area
    Any ideas what’s happen ? Could just be the dpc under that part of the slab has failed
    Not sure how you’d isolate just that part with out literally cutting through the slab with a still saw but probably not the best route :confused:

3. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

Tear in the dpc sheet sounds like the culprit, not sure how you could isolate that though

4. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

If only you used a latex

5. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

By the sounds of it just using DPM for a certain area may work for a while but in the long run will probably travel.

6. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Real pain. There is a toilet area right behind the wall which has been leaking a long time. I think this caused the problem but it doesn’t seem t be drying out at all. Been a good 6 months and still reading high. Really it needs digging up to see where the problem is but it’s in a commercial canteen so not ideal.

7. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

External leak should mean the cause isn't your responsibility.

8. Glenn H

Glenn H Well-Known Member

Never an ideal situation but it just seems if not addressed properly the problem will continue. Little repairs will be like "putting a plaster over a gunshot wound ". Nobody will guarantee works whilst the floor is like this

9. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Not your responsibility merit, can't it go through an insurance claim?

10. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I’ve already told them to get the floor surveyed before o do anything to it. They keep trying to get me to fix it at a cost. But once I’ve tried to fix it it’s gonna be my problem. Think that’s why they still asking me to fix it lol

11. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Yep, you'll be their first port of call then, ssssaaccckkk that!

12. AngryAndy

AngryAndy Well-Known Member

Do not fix it if you know there is an underlying (no pun intended) problem. In court you will be deemed to be the expert and the ruling will go against you as you knew there would/could be a problem further down the line.

13. J d clarkson flooring

J d clarkson flooring Well-Known Member

I had something similar...... 100 m2 of karndean Van Gogh fitted onto ardex K13 as it was all the rage back then.
    Customer complained an area was bubbling so went to look and I identified the screed had blown so suspected a leak ....
    We tested on quotation and was dry, when we went back we also put our meters into the dry lined walls and it was piss wet through, turned out to be loose fittings on all water waste pipes in bathroom and tracked through the screed....... insurance claim for customer and don’t rectify a thing unless you are at fault.

14. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. As I expected really. I’ve left it for about 6 months and they keep asking me to come and try and fix it. It needs digging up really. They defo have a leak somewhere in my opinion as there is a toilet area behind it and a kitchen area next to it. The rest of the floor is bone dry