Feather for LVT click?

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Adzee, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Adzee

Adzee Member

Hi there,

I am about to lay LVT of the click type (Polyflor, Camaro) throughout my downstairs.

I will be securing my 6mm flooring grade ply using 20mm reisser cutter nails as my subfloor is 18mm chipboard.

Part of an area is also concrete so I was planning on using Setcrete Acrylic primer everywhere (over concrete and ply) before the Mapei 3240 SLC is then poured over the full area.

My question is do I need to put a feather compound down if I am putting the SLC down as won’t this fill any gaps between the plywood etc?

I have seen various companies on social media using feather edge first however I can’t seem to find any from the usual retailers (unless I’m looking for the wrong stuff!…highly likely!). However because it’s click I wondered if this was necessary?
    Why is feather edge used when SLC will fill any gaps, I’m genuinely curious.

Thank you in advance for any help or direction

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Won’t need to feather is if putting a smoothing compound on top.
    Is it unlevel ?
    You shouldn’t need to screed cover the ply at all if it’s flat.

3. Adzee

Adzee Member

Thanks Dazlight,
    To be fair I haven’t laid the ply yet but there might be a slight difference where it joins the concrete extension. Other than that it’s fairly level unless any cupping has occurred over the years since the main floor was laid.

If I don’t need to SLC the whole area, would you still recommend feathering the joints, or is this not needed for click vinyl flooring?

thanks again

4. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

It needed. Just prime the plywood if going over. feather is mostly used when gluing LVT down

5. When installing LVT flooring, it is important to ensure that the subfloor is level and smooth to provide a stable base for the flooring. Feather edge compound is often used to fill in any gaps or uneven areas in the subfloor before installing the SLC (Self-Levelling Compound).

The purpose of the feather edge compound is to provide a smooth surface for the SLC to be poured over, ensuring that the final surface is level and even. The SLC will fill any gaps, but the feather edge compound will help to level out the surface, making it easier to achieve a smooth final surface.

It is not necessary to use a feather edge compound with SLC if your subfloor is already level and smooth, but if you have uneven areas or gaps, it is recommended to use a feather edge first. As you are using click type (Polyflor, Camaro) LVT, the click system usually helps to fill small gaps and imperfections.

As for the primer, using a primer such as Setcrete Acrylic primer is a good practice before installing any type of adhesive, it will help the adhesive to bond better with the concrete and plywood.

It's always a good idea to check with the manufacturer of the SLC and the LVT flooring for specific installation recommendations and to consult with a professional flooring installer if you have any doubts or concerns.

6. Adzee

Adzee Member

Thank you for such a detailed reply!
    Really appreciate it.
    It seems I will be ok then with just the SLC onto the plywood with it been a click system.
    Hoping to start on the project next week so thanks again for your info.