Feather or thin self leveller?

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by tombo_83, Apr 20, 2024.

1. tombo_83

tombo_83 Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’ve got an area at the top of my stair landing areas where Amtico runs into the real oak landing stair nosing. One side is perfect for Amtico to run into, the other side is around 4mm low so will need bringing up with something. Having used Mapei renovation through i don’t think it’ll flow well enough to feather out the edges. I have a bag of fball 500 which was for some other areas to make perfect, that I could use this perhaps. Will fball 500 smooth out if mixed up runny? Or is another compound a better bet? It’ll have to be feather into the surrounding area, so may have to go back 1m2 into the landing area to avoid a bump or noticeable change in level.

As always, thanks for any tips / advice. [​IMG]

Cheers Tom [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Ardex a45/a46 and then feather. Feather would work in multiple coats though so entirely upto you

3. tombo_83

Feather put on quite dry and trowelled around, or mixed up a bit like a slc? Would it flow?

4. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

I would make it quite stiff and build it up and sand

5. tombo_83

That’s where my mind went first. F ball 500 fine for this I’m assuming? My supplier has f ball only

6. HC&F

HC&F Well-Known Member

Yes

7. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

I'd drill whisk that 500 nice and thick ish then trowel it down.
    Wait for it to harden enough for you to stroke it with a wet trowel for a nice smooth finish

8. tombo_83

Perfect. I already have the 500. Does that need a primer on top of the renovation screed or is it ok to go straight on top? I’ve got some eco prim t plus left…

Cheers, much appreciated.

9. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

If you've got ir then yeah don't see why not

10. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

I'd probably put it on a fraction higher than it needs to be, then once it's hardened but not dry, use a small offcut of flooring, hold it flush to the step and scrape off the surface