FITA course vs the carpetright fita courses???

Discussion in 'Flooring Courses' started by coolevilangel, Jun 6, 2014.

1. coolevilangel

coolevilangel Well-Known Member

Is there a difference between the two sets of courses then?
    Do you get the same amount of *ahem* training on the cptright 'fita' course as you would if you went direct to fita themselves?
    Just wondering as there's a some fitters up by me that think they are the dogs dangly bits since being on these courses, and its very apparent upon seeing the results, that they havnt learnt a damn thing....:rolleyes::confused:
    which itself is very risky.
    As im based in Scotland, I believe they went down the central belt somewhere to do the course so its not down in fitas main base in Loughborough.

So what gives?:-?

2. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

Not sure I've assessed by them , ( and passed )
    I've also been on the floor rep and door cutting course ran by fita
    The above course was in my honest opinion not worth the money ( mandatory course )
    I would hope there regular training courses were better than the course we were made to go on

But please don't take my word as gospel as i'm only a *ahem* cptright fitter:eek:

3. Bow Flooring

Bow Flooring Well-Known Member

No Carpetright fita course is a one day quick overview completely different to going to fita direct course takes place in a Carpetright warehouse not at there centre

4. coolevilangel

@ Jasper
    Wasn't taking the mick out of the fitters or anything like that mate
    Its just that I hear lads giving it the 'big I am' after being on these cpt rite courses saying how they are all FITA qualified up the wazoo etc etc and they think themselves that they know all they need to etc.
    Imo its bad practice having lads on a course and them coming away thinking that's all there is to know etc and they at top of the game....
    comparing it to the 'real' fita courses etc

5. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

The carpet right course is a fraction of what's covered if you've paid full price for a course. I think the carpet right guys paid £150 for the last one. Get the same from guys near me after the screeding one they done. Asked do they have moisture meters etc and one guy said yes, he brought a £10 one from b&q. Could stop myself laughing.

6. Bow Flooring

When I done my cr fita course we used felt back on underlay and gripper also was told to buy protimeter mini to test concrete floors with think I have paid for about 4 courses in total all £156 each haven't done the door trimming one and I'm not going to

7. coolevilangel

so for a prospective employer/boss etc
    CR lad goes in with 'i'm FITA trained in this, that, the other' etc
    which, fair play to them they are......
    But a tad misleading no?
    Nothing against the fitters, I used to be one so I know how the game is played
    Just wondering why fita have basically bast@rdized their courses & name with being associated with CR
    thoughts?

8. Bow Flooring

Deffo a bad move for there rep

9. Jasper

Jasper Well-Known Member

MONEY can be the only reason
    I personally wasnt impressed by the level of training I was given on the floor prep course
    If it wasnt a mandatory course I wouldn't have paid !!

10. Cre8tiveflooring

Cre8tiveflooring Well-Known Member

Maybe they were offered a different option, but top brass only see profit margins and don't really care about anything else so went down a different route which suited them more???

11. Steve cane

Steve cane Well-Known Member

disagree, i've been fitting for 28 years and i'm always willing to learn new methods etc. this isn't aimed at trainees, it's for Carpetright to know their fitters are upto a reasonable standard and are educated in what's involved in preparing floors etc. Carpet Right fitters aren't Fita Qualified they're FITA "Approved" that's the difference. Most fitters i know who did the course just did it, put it behind them and carried on as they are! I do the odd day for them so i went on the one day Assesment course which involved floor prep and door trimming which was held at their traing centre in Loughborough. To be honest it was pretty good! We weren't really there to learn anything new as such just more for the Fita instructor to tell Carpet Right we were of a reasonable standard lol

12. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

I've been on all their course's, not everyone passed, some left before being forced to go (I,be been doing this for 20 years and no one gonna tell me, ect & ext ).
    These were basic course's and not intended to be comprehensive, basic templating and 3 types of screed and moisture testing. The door trimmer didn't turn up so that was a bust
    I did ask about testing adhride type floors but didn't get a great answer (non committal).
    Even the guys that did the test have no intention of doing any flooring prep they just chase the work to me.
    I've tried to encourage the fitters to get together and arrange proper nvq course's with funding( not available in NIreland) but no takers. So c/r course is the only game in town.