Floating floor preparation -

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Rowena Senior, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Rowena Senior

Rowena Senior New Member

Hi, I've tried searching the forums but have not found the answers I need so please bear with me.

We have what I believe is a floating sub floor - 100mm polystyrene on top of concrete with t&g board on top. We have previously had Estilo+ Vinyl Click installed in the kitchen which failed very quickly, before this there was really cheap laminate down that had been installed when built.
    We are wanting to do the whole of the downstairs which is approx 41sqm.

What are our options floor wise?
    I'm conscious that the amount of movement means that anything 'click' will start to fail. The kitchen is only 3 years old but 18months ago we had to have a new boiler which meant that the gas pipe had to be moved and was relocated to go through the kitchen floor causing even more movement as the t&g is not as it was.

To add to this we also moved a door under the stairs from one side to another which has left a gap in the sub floor that needs filling, and also replaced double french doors with 4 pane sliding ones again leaving gaps. The door guy filled with concrete so as not to leave two huge holes but left a gap against the exterior wall - I've tried to attached a pic but it wouldn't let me.

I really apologise for such a long post but I wanted to get as much detail in as possible.

I have seen a few things that suggest a layer of ply should be fitted to the floor to create some strength and lessen the movement. In an ideal world I would love to get rid oft eh polystyrene sub as it makes an awful noise when walked on but that just isn't realistic or within budget.

I wanted to try and get as much info as possible before I get anyone out so that I know they are not trying to charge for unnecessary work etc - forearmed is forewarned as they say.

I'm in South Yorkshire if there is anyone local to me who could recommend someone or would be willing to do the job.

Just to note we currently have carpet in the living/dining room and the house came with laminate in the kitchen/utility/WC.

Any help or advice apprecited

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

I hate them subfloors. Liverpool docks had loads built like that. We did a few of glue down Amtico ( LVT ). 9mm plywood then a fibre smoothing compound.
    Gary Haigh is the man around there.

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Yep they are naff. Last one we did the customer just ripped it out and had a screed put down. We have another that’s going to be over laid with 12mm ply and then have 15mm engineered wood stuck down. Just make sure you use the right levelling compound as we asked Mapie about this system amd they wouldn’t guarantee any levelling compound over a floated floor. Uzin, fball and Ardex may have something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk