?

Would you be happy to let the apprentices prepair a staircase for you looking at the pictures ?

1. No (if No please advice with a comment why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes

4 vote(s)
    100.0%

Flooring Apprenticeship for Carpet and Vinyl @ FloorSkills

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Matt, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Matt

Matt Well-Known Member Staff Member

A few people keep saying its impossible for FloorSkills to train an apprentice to install flooring in 12 months. I disagree. Dont get me wrong here, obviously they still need to be guided and start to gain experience. Asking a bit much for them to go out to jobs on their own after 12 months and complete full installs. But as i keep saying, with proper training yes they should be able to install, providing the employee dont hold them back and obviously the apprentice has to want to learn also.So today i took a couple of pictures of the apprentices work carried out to show the sort of standard FloorSkills gets the apprentices to after only 4 visits. (technically they was preparing as in the pictures on their 2nd visit)

These Apprentices have done carpet training with FloorSkills maybe 4months ago (their 2nd visit) . They return this week and we ask " how you all getting on with fitting stairs etc since your training? " (as we expect them to now be putting into practice what FloorSkills has taught them on previous visit)

Half the apprentices reply " we have not been allowed to prep stairs let alone fit them yet " (This is what i mean by being held back. Give the lads a chance to show you what they have learnt at FloorSkills !)
    O.k, now im a little worried as a couple of them have not been able to practice what they learnt a few months ago, do i put the camera away ? NO, lets see what they can remember from 4 months ago.

The challenge, prep and fit 4 steps. Treat the top step as if its a half landing. There is NO help from the instructor. You have to do it on your own and we will see how you get on.

Take a look at pictures and tell me if you think the apprentices prep looks acceptable to you ? Do they need more training ? would you be happy to let them prep the stairs? The carpet was 8mm thick. Please bare in mind they have only had one go at this before and that was 4 months ago !

Employers, please let the apprentices have a go, you might find they can do a lot more than you thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

Mate you and I both know and can see that prep is far superior to most carpet slashers out there (no offence intended) so yes your apprentices would be more than welcome to prep and fit a stair case for me Not that I get any fluffy jobs anymore but you get me ;)

3. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Hey, they can do all my prep work.. in fact I'd let them do all my fluffy..

4. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Yes Matt I would be more than happy with that and would let them lose on stairs. The correct prep on stairs is 80% of the work on stairs.
    The shop I sub to on bigger jobs team me up with another (older) fitter and his favorite tool is a can of spray, luckly his wrists are fecked so I generally jump in and do the stairs, but he's now complaining that I fit gripper to tight on the landing and wonders why I use so little spray!!!

5. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Looks good to me. I always try and let the boys try everything, as soon as pos

6. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Was that do or try..... :oops:
    How's your plate

7. Neilydun

Plate is excellent thank you sir. Nice and shiny !

8. G.W Flooring

G.W Flooring Well-Known Member

Wish I could have an apprentice. Even more so one which can prep like that

9. Neilydun

Why don`t you take one on ?

10. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

'cause I'm too busy.... :eek:

11. Distinctive Adam

Distinctive Adam Well-Known Member

Looks ace to me and the reason I recommend floorskills to so many people