Hardwood floor preparation for Quickstep rigid vinyl

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Moray, May 2, 2020.

1. Moray

Moray New Member

Hi, first time on the forum so please be gentle
    I am planning to install some rigid click vinyl in several rooms in our flat. I am leaning towards Quickstep Livyn Ambient Grey Slate vinyl. On Quickstep’a website they state the following...

“Make sure the subfloor is completely flat. Cement joints of more than 1 mm in depth and 4 mm in width should be levelled out using an appropriate primer and levelling compound. Any unevenness of more than 1 mm over a length of 20 cm must be levelled out. Bumps should be removed by sanding or scraping. The same applies to unevennesses of more than 2 mm over a length of 1 m. Use an appropriate levelling compound and check if a primer or sealer is needed with the supplier. In some cases, the use of an underlay can avoid extra levelling of the subfloor.”

This seems a little extreme, especially if I am also using their underlay to help with any minor unevenness. Can anyone comment if I should be OK with just the underlay and the click vinyl as the vinyl already seems pretty stiff. I have attached a picture of our existing subfloor to show its condition. The flat is over 130 years old and the floorboards are sturdy but as with all flooring that’s been installed for a long time, there are imperfections at joins etc.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Moray

Attached Files:

2. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

You'll be fine, it's just their way of getting out of any warranty claims :D

Crack on and dont forget to post us some pics when you completed it.

3. merit

merit Well-Known Member

It’s a clic, personally I would say ply out the floor at the very least. Those floor boards will be all over the place and will probably move once covered. The clic lock is very weak and that’s why the floor needs to be flat as a pancake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Board it out first the floor needs to be flat and firm, plane any peaking joints, make sure all the floorboards are sound and firmly fixed then overboard with minimum 6mm ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Scf

Scf Well-Known Member

Same as above, 6mm ply all over. Make sure you or the fitter leaves the expansion gap recomended or bigger if your taking the skirts off.

6. thenode

thenode Active Member

Rigid is far better than the vinyl click, totally agree with boarding it out first though, at £35sqm it could be an expensive mess if you don't

Question: Does anyone have a sensible answer to why some people spend hundreds or even thousands of pounds on something and have absolutely no idea what to do with it?