Hello .

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by John hayes, Oct 22, 2015.

1. John hayes

John hayes Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Nope I'd prefer you to tell me the most basic n maybe for you stupid but for me it's amazing thanks. We normally use fball stopgap 1200.as a rule the guy I work with doesn't mask up skirts is it to stop it splashing etc? after we fit the lvt we normally go round with damp cloth and clean skirting where needed. Not normally a lot couple spots here and there. Sorry if this is stupid question but can you ardurapid before screeds ? Plus we do use feather finish but just been on the fball course and they have said not to use feather over 1200 or any hd screed he said only for ply and screw heads. .. as a rule we allways use it and our company buy it in so I thort it qas weird. And do you guys know of any cheap moisture test . One that doesn't needed to be drill n plugged . I know you get what you pay for . But just fairly reasonable price ?

2. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

3. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

ardurapid or you might knw it as fball 400 we use to fill holes in the slab and caulk up gaps under skirts, before float over with 1200pro as thats the screed we are given to use, I dont mask skirts either its just a good thing to do when your learning until you get the trowel control.

unfourtunately if you want to do a damp test properly its gonna set you back a few quid, unless you get lucky and grab one secondhand on ebay that doesnt get to high.

4. John hayes

Oh right yeah I understand now. So if small gaps under skirting chalk up to cover them so none goes in there. Also if there are hairline cracks in the sub floor van you just silicone over them and rub it flat into it? Maybe I should ask my manager if he can send me out to maybe screed somewhere where sheet vinyl is going. As in a toilet . Are toilets easy to screed ? Yeah just looked at them with the link mjfl sent. There fairly expensive although are company do send estimators with damp measures but we've gone after they've been n found damp problems normally where walls have been taken out or where the new extension meets old outer walls. Do you guys do domestic or commercial ?

5. John hayes

I mean I did screed the bays at the fball course (nothing like what we deal with sometimes) but just learning the trowel . One went realy well .and the first one went terrible wouldn't be able to lay nothing on it. I rolled it also. Was annoying but do you just learn over time and make mistakes? Hard thing to learn because no one's going to be happy if I muck up

6. pf flooring

Not silicone for cracks in floor, ardurapid a45 or fball 400, its a repair mortar, thing with latexing is its like most things trial and error until you start putting it down theres no way to improve!

7. John hayes

Even like hairline ones? Yeah I guess I need to ask my manager if I can crack on with it. Do you advice me to ask if someone could come with me who can screed or just go on my own ?? Thanks

8. pf flooring

I don't no to be fair in regards to how you should go about it, to be fair if you only screed for lvt you might find it hard for them to let you do it, ideally you could practise on sheet vinyl areas that is loose fitted.

Hairline cracks depends on how 'hairline' I suppose if the screed can fall down it then yeh a45 them you only need to knock up a tiny amount or if literally hairline then I'd probably not bother as the screed wouldn't run away

9. John hayes

I mean my firm deals with all types of flooring so not hard to get screeds if needed so will ask tommorow . Sorry what do you mean loose fitted ?

10. pf flooring

Not stuck

11. John hayes

So spray and tap the perimeter would be classed as a loose vinyl ?? Sorry to ask stupid questions

12. pf flooring

Yeah pretty much as your not sticking all over so the vinyl won't take the shape of the floor as much as the glue isn't sucking it down, just means you can get away with the floor not being 100% perfect is all

13. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Also could you ask to do the first coat if you ever get 2 coat screeds?

14. John hayes

Good ideas . Shall ask manager on Monday. I do carpets monday tues and Friday and lvt Wednesday and Thursday. .. I do enjoy lvt more but stick with carpets as where I live they can't get enough of the karndine amtico but I don't want to go 5 days lvt as this mad rush might end so going to learn as much as possible hopefully.

15. John hayes

+ what knee pads do you guys wear ? I wear the red backs at the moment but I double them up with foam inserts but there so dam heavy and end up like shin pads. Any ideas ?? I've heard the snicker one with the poly balls are good but not sure any ideas ???

16. RPB

RPB Super Moderator Staff Member

Sorry, that's a thumbs up... I've got big thumbs, pressed wrong icon lol

Sorted lol undone rating :)

17. pf flooring

1200pro is quite a good screed to learn with to be fair as it flows well and comes out basically water based smooth so you should get a good finish even if not perfect, worst thing you can do is let it knock you if it comes out crap, don't worry about that just sand it heavily then
    redbacks, nothing extra with them though, just tighten your belt :) might be abit heavy but they will save your knees in the long run as they are the only pad as far as I know that spreads your weight across it which means less pressure on one specific point which is a big cause of fluid on the knee which can be a bugger

18. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

19. John hayes

Yeah that's all my company uses realy 1200 no I won't. Just got to get on the trowel I think n get laying . The only reason I use the inserts is due to after a while they imprint and start to become soft and moving around can be uncomfortable. I mean the red backs are great. But I can only realy wear doubled up and I only wear them for lvt days lol so a pain in the arse to take out n leave the normal foam inserts for carpet days lol

20. Neilydun

Neilydun Well-Known Member

Try these mate, Proknees, you have to import from America, but its very easy.
    I got a pair earlier this year, then got 4 more pairs, for the lads that work with me.
    By far the best i`ve ever used
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]