1. No

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

Hello's and Woes from London

Discussion in 'Introduce yourself' started by Flawed, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Flawed

Flawed New Member

Dear knowledged people of this very informative forum,
    hello from London England where the rain has started again in abundance and with it though unconnected some very unforeseen issues with a style of flooring I haven't seen and cannot find mentioned here.
    Has anybody heard of and could shed some light on something called 'Barclick'. The amount of effort it seems to take to connect along the plank seems untenable then to try and slide (bash really hard with a hammer and a tamper bar) the thing along to make the ends meet properly feels surely like I have missed something. I always thought brute force can be the key when you are fitting a solid wood long plank floor but all engineered floors have been a gentle touch and a delicate tap.
    I am a hobbyist and helpful friend with tools and ability at best but have successfully laid both soft Bordeaux pinewood flooring and various types of engineered floor both laminate and all wood. I am helping a friend get his daughters' bedroom ready before she returns on Tuesday and so are doing this tomorrow. I cannot imagine that after 72 hours of acclimatizing (they arrived Friday) the planks will behave so differently than they did for the test pieces. I did not see the product in the shop and the only paper with it is a multi-product single sheet identifying it as Barclick type versus Barlock with no obvious manufacturer. The only internet address is a european tutorial which seems to carefully miss out the part where you hit the tamper bar like you are driving a stake into the ground for the circus. The flooring was not cheap and seems to be a good composite of three opposed layers of softwood with a hardwood top finished in white bought from Builders Depot.
    Could it be that an engineered floor that calls itself 'click' should really be called bash? That my faithful flat plane floor tightening straps will have to be replaced with some sort of block and tackle affair with two shire horses? My tamper bar a bent railroad track with an anvil welded to it hit with a 10 tonne pneumatic press? Or, and most likely, I am just being a fool and there is a better way.
    Thank you for any and all help you might decide to share and thanks for letting me scream here!
    Flawed.