Help around doors

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by ash_scotland88, Dec 29, 2022.

1. ash_scotland88

ash_scotland88 New Member

Greetings all from a new forum member.

Got a few questions regarding help around doors.

Fitting quadrant what's the best way/correct way to finish when coming up to the frame?
    I can't seem to think of a method that doesn't look clunky and forcefull.

Our frames are just the same as the skirting with no block at the bottom. There is the smallest chamfer leading towards the door. As far as i can tell the two options
    1) Take it the chamfer and angle match the quadrant.
    2) Take it in line with the vertical and chamfer, full gap with colour matched sealant.

This is a room we've done ourselves and I need to (need because the detail is annoying me) go back and fix issues/finishing details.

In other rooms we'll most likely get a floor later in as we want parquet/herringbone, most likely with a border. Should a decent fitter be able to scribe to the door and not undercut? We really don't want to undercut if we don't have to.

2. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

Always a better finish if you undercut, wood/laminate there isn’t another option unless you want it to look crap, LVT can be cut around the architrave but still looks better undercut. If you’re beading anything match in with your skirting and not the floor looks much cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ash_scotland88

ash_scotland88 New Member

Cheers guys,

These are the bits needed to go back and sort.

Also really annoying me is the skirting and frame depth difference so wanting to take off the quadrant and plane it back skirting to smooth/sloped.
    We had to replace the skirting with as close as possible from store but I've already threatened that when we do the major works and get, no doubt, skirting made to match we'll be coming back to this room and doing it properly!* The flooring is SPC and while we liked the sample and should last with desk chairs rolling over it once laid I've never been sure, it's too flush a finish between boards.

So even if square-ish bottom frames undercutting is still the best way by a professional? Admittedly hesitant as what do we do if we want to go back to carpet? Infill all the wood below? I think it's the "vandalism" of original wood work that's holding me back the most.

*Part of wanting to change would be also to have flooring that matched through out. Even if it's parquet hall and lounge and planks elsewhere. DSC_1745.jpg DSC_1746.jpg

Sent from my XQ-AT51 using Tapatalk

5. Paul webb

Paul webb Well-Known Member

The spc will be around 5mm thick, so the gap will only be around 5mm and a carpet is probably going to be at least 10mm thick