Help measuring for carpet

Discussion in 'Carpet / Textile' started by Sw5033, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Sw5033

Sw5033 New Member

I order my carpets online and usually have no problems measuring, however, we recently moved to a larger house and I'm unsure how to measure correctly for a larger room where the carpet will need to be joined. The room measures 5.40 m x 5.30 m into the alcoves. A 5m wide carpet is currently down with the join across each alcove, which are only approx 0.40cm deep by 1.10m wide. So I know I need a 5m wide carpet it's the length to order I'm unsure of. I was going to add the width of the alcoves onto the length of the room which would mean I would need to order a 5 x 8m carpet is that correct? This means I'm going to have 40 Sq m if carpet when I probably only need about 28 Sq m. Can someone please advise the correct amount I need to order, online company's won't incase they tell me the wrong amount. Thank you.

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

A professional really needs to see the room to work out the most cost effective way to order the carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

Get the person fitting it o come and measure it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    • List
  4. d'Arcy

d'Arcy Well-Known Member

What they said - Get a professional to look at it.

(However, if you really do neeeeed to do it yourself, go into it with a fair bit of caution. You'd probably get away with 6.8m x 5m (34sqm). This would allow you 5.5m for the length of the room, and a 1.3m strip to be cut into strips 10-20cm larger than the depth of the alcoves for joins - as long as that's the same way as the pile that is..)

Unfortunately, in the shop, I have customers who insist on doing stuff like this themselves all the time - they usually screw up. Let the professionals do it but budget for around the 33-34sqm mark....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List