How much of it is your own work

Discussion in 'General Flooring Chat' started by Rugmunching, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

Morning!

Nice to see the forum with alot more traffic lately and seems like it's started to get busy for alot of us (or already is).

Was looking through previous years by books lastnight and the last few years I'd say 85% of my work is my own, off my own back which is always good.

Started off contracting many years ago but every year seems to more my own. Guess it's the rep we build up.

What percentage would you say is your own work?

And daft question for some but who prefers it the other way round? Less paper work etc

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

We don’t do any work for shops any more. We are lucky to work with a few companies that really know their stuff. We are happy to go out fitting for other companies if they supply good products and have a good knowledge of what they are doing. Also work for a office fit out company that are really great to deal with. For anyone else starting out, if your working with or for a company that won’t listen to your advice or make everything difficult inc payments get rid of them. We have full control and responsibility over pretty much all our own work and it’s works well for us. Training courses and memberships have also been a great way for us to gain our own work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Rugmunching

Yeah it's nice when the company actually 'leave it to You' without sticking their unknowledged heads in. Problem is there isn't many but the ones that do leave you to it are the ones to keep hold of like you say.

4. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

If I do any work for a shop/contractor... It's done like it's my own customer.. always left to my own devices.. less hassle for them and I'm left alone .. win.. win

5. dazlight

dazlight Super Moderator

All my own work now. Has been last 10 years. Once you get your name about and do good work you get a steady stream of work.

6. NathanKing

NathanKing Well-Known Member

Im.judt starting out on my own so at the minute most or the work I'm doing is sunny work to 3-4 different companies and then my own jobs as and when I get them

I much prefer doing my own jobs as I can do then my way and the right way. If a job isn't right then I won't do it simple as that because I'm not going to put my name to bad work

For example, got asked to fit a bathroom for a guy that does insurance work this week, told him my price for (domestic) vinyl fitting

When I got there the lads were just finishing up a disabled access shower tray and wanted me to fit some shitty bit of really soft cushion floor then there were going to stick some plastic skirting to the tiles

I told them that it needed safety flooring cap and cove and making water tight then left

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. merit

merit Well-Known Member

You need subby work when you first start out. Keep you earning while you build your reputation. You’ll never get a bad name walking away from a bad job but you will get all the blame if you take them on

8. NathanKing

Exactly my thinking mate so I'll walk every time if the jobs not right, it will obviously stop me earning money on some occasions but it won't cost me WHEN it goes wrong

9. Rugmunching

Sometimes it'll be hard to walk away if you have no work on but you got the right idea, I've made that mistake a few times and it really ain't worth the stress. I was stitched up big time few year ago by one firm I subbed to and it took several months to get things cleared up.

10. pf flooring

pf flooring Well-Known Member

100% subbie work to new builds and couldn't be happier, don't do domestic as dislike customers and much prefer doing "plot bashing" suits me and my mate down to the ground and earn a very healthy living from it!

11. NathanKing

That's what I was doing before going self employed, done few days for my old employer this week and it's shit working on site lol

12. merit

merit Well-Known Member

I hate site work. I like my tea made for me

13. Rugmunching

I'm on a site at the min for first time in yonks and I can't stand it. Havnt missed it one bit

14. NathanKing

That's what I though this week but it's good to see the lads again and money is good tbh

15. Rugmunching

Yeah it is mate, I just can't deal with them blue box shitty loos. Got caught out today using the toilet in the new plot. Had a leak so called the site manager but forgot to flush it before I shown him....wasn't too impressed with the yellow glow :D

16. NathanKing

Worse when you use it then realise there's no water on yet