Hygrometer readings

Discussion in 'Vinyl / Impervious floor coverings' started by Martin Trieste, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Martin Trieste

Martin Trieste Member

We've got a hygrometer down on our recently screeded floor and have some, what I think, are strange readings.
    The hygrometer was provided / stuck down by the selected installer.
    Screed went down 50 days ago to a specified thickness was 75mm.

2 weeks ago the value during the hot sunny days was 74-76%.
    This has steadily increased to 85-87%.

Is this normal?
    Can the hygrometer have an issue?
    It almost seems like, as the air humidity has increased the hygrometer value has risen accordingly.

The area has been well ventilated during this period.
    Installer has stated that we need a sub 75% value as a minimum before fitting the LVT.
    There is no obvious moisture on the floor and no condensation noticeable either - there had been a few weeks ago when the weather first warmed up.

Any clues?

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

This is why I don’t like hygrometers. The readings change with heat and air humidity. Do you have ufh? I’m guessing it wouldn’t be turned on even if you did in this heat. Your better off putting a dpm down. It’s very hard to get dry readings on anything new. 2 coats of Ardex mvs will sort that depending on the subfloor. What’s it made of?

3. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Was it stuck down with butyl tape or something else, did they use a hand held meter to determine the best place to install the box?

4. tarkett85

tarkett85 Well-Known Member

For 75mm you’re looking at around 150 days drying time, the screed will change with humidity levels in the air which is why you need to control them, based on those readings mvs would do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mjfl

mjfl Well-Known Member

Dewpoint has a big factor too