Instarmac level it problems

Discussion in 'Subfloor Preparation' started by Carty Lidge, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Rugmunching

Rugmunching Well-Known Member

2. merit

merit Well-Known Member

Vey misleading. I would imaging you can put all these screeds over ply. Question is how much deflection is in the floor? Are we takin about ply stuck to a solid concrete floor or ply over joists in a house built in the 1600s. Ive never know instarmac products to be consistent from the first job we did with them. 800 m2 of speed screed all setting as soon as it hit the floor. I like level it flex but again the flow between batches is inconsistent and the purple bag is just cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Carty Lidge

Carty Lidge Well-Known Member

Hi we have put it down to a frosted batch of primer old stock from the supplier manufactured in March during the beast from the east!
    As for not using level it here is the comparison compared to na for compressive strength and flex all in N/mmsquared after 28 days.
    Level it 2 purple bag comp 25,flex 5 level it bond yellow bag comp 20 flex 5 so purple bag is actually stronger but slower drying time compared to bond!
    And finally artex na ( does anyone actually put this down without priming first)
    Comp 16 flex 5.5.
    So why not use purple bag over ply as it exceeds yellow bag on compression and flex over bond?
    Of course you could say its the walk on time for moisture going into the ply so what about Brown bag flex which you mix powder and water so that puts that argument to bed.
    And as for feathering over flooring grade ply we always screed over ply.
    Cheers for the responses.

4. Carty Lidge

Looking at flexibility as it was over ply m8 not comp!

5. Spacey

Spacey Super Moderator Staff Member

What primer do you use on ply ?

6. Carty Lidge

Instarmac prime it neat over ply only downside is it can take an hour to dry even with plenty of air flow!
    Good stuff normally if you wash and squeeze out the roller it wont come off your hands for a couple of days lol!

7. Spacey

So your screeding every job and using a waterbased primer that takes a long time to dry ? That’s a lot of standing moisture on your ply ?

Screeding ply really should be a last resort and only really done if absolutely necessary
    If you are screeding ply you’d be better off using a gritty feather type primer like Uzin 630
    Or FBall fill and prime
    Get a better longer lasting bond with these type of primers and you don’t have wet screed and primer sitting on the ply for long periods of time

8. Carty Lidge

Prime it is a acrylic primer.
    UltraFloor Prime IT Multi-surface Primer is a moisture tolerant, water based acrylic primer, sealer and bonding aid, suitable for porous and non-porous substrates. Prime IT Multi-surface Primer has been designed to promote the adhesion of UltraFloor smoothing underlayments.

• Moisture tolerant
    • Enhances adhesion
    • Reduces pinholing
    • Coverage: 200m² at 3:1 dilution
    • Can be used as a curing agent
    • Size: 5ltr
    • Calculation for porous surfaces is based on applying one coat at 3:1 dilution, followed by one coat at 1:1 dilution
    • Calculation for non-porous surfaces is based on applying one neat coat of MSP

9. Carty Lidge

I have been advise that karndean and amtico will only stand by there product over a screeded floor has any one any info on this or is my coleague romancing?

10. Spacey

Yeah water based primer

Your putting water on wood o_O

11. Spacey

Load of rubbish

12. Carty Lidge

Pps. Screed is quite wet lol.

13. Carty Lidge

Please clarify m8 yep the primer is water based acrylic but it is left to dry before screeding over therefore no water lleft just going off manufactures instructions. Do you prime for na?
    And I'm sure screed is pretty wet.

14. Carty Lidge

Cheers m8 thought he was talking bull lol.

15. Carty Lidge

Never put a dry screed down yet.

16. Carty Lidge

Interesting no reply to the Newton metres squared?

17. Spacey

What about it ?

18. Spacey

Prime everything unless under DPM
    Try not to use NA if I can help it and don’t use Any instamac products and I don’t use water based screeds or primers over ply

19. Carty Lidge

Regarding flex and compression strength between Instarmac level it purple and bond compared with artex na?
    What do you use to prime and screed over ply?
    And the Instarmac we uses are resin based bottle and bag.

20. Carty Lidge

Pps not a farthing above minimum wage out in the sticks so I don't know why I care.